watermelon poop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tunaoftheland, Aug 9, 2009.

1. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    I gave my girls half a medium watermelon this morning. Plenty to go around with 14 chickens, I thought. Everyone can eat as much as she wants. Perhaps too much in fact. I went out this afternoon and there was pinkish, wet poop everywhere! I was close to panic when I realized what must have happened. So be warned when giving your chickens refreshing treats! Everything in moderation is not just an old saying after all [​IMG]

2. max101

max101 Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    omg same thing happened to me the first time i gave my silkies watermelon. i freaked out i thought they were dieing. i had 4 butts to clean and blow dry when i worked out it was watermelon poop

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    LOL it works just like we do when we eat odd foods. LOL.

AL

4. alycoop

alycoop Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    Vancouver WA
    LOL it works just like we do when we eat odd foods. LOL.

Hmm, nobody cleans and blowdries my behind!​

5. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    Quote:hahaha, eeeeeew [​IMG]

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Be aware of raspberries and beets also. I gave my chickens some left over beets and beet greens and everyone had redish poop. I also thought everyone was dying but on 'careful' inspection I could see that it was red color and not blood color getting darker as time went on. Big scare but can laugh about it now.

7. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    On the other hand, bet they didn't drink much water that day!

8. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Blackberry poop is disturbing too [​IMG]

But NOT as disturbing as the time my dog ate an entire bag of peanuts without my knowledge (she is a kitchen counter thief). That was some majorly weird looking poop...I thought she was passing an internal organ or something. Thankfully I found the empty bag in her hiding area in the backyard before calling the vet and making an idiot out of myself.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: