Watermelon Rinds for my Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Jun 16, 2017.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

~ Should I use the cheese Grater for the watermelon "Rinds"? ~Then should I cut the grated pieces up a little smaller? I heard you can chop up the rinds but I'm not sure on the size of the chopped up stuff. I'm concerned about them choking on the pieces. Thanks, Julie

2. Tilly6

Tilly6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    I just throw them the rinds, they eat the good stuff off and leave the green. Nobody has choked. I do the same with cantaloupe.

3. Sublight

Sublight Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2016
    My dad has ducks, and one of the funniest things that happens at his house is when he gives his ducks a watermelon rind.
    They go nuts, and they eat it SO FAST. They are machines. It wont hurt them, just give the entire rind. They cant bite off pieces that are too big. If they were that easy to choke, they would not be around today.

When you do, then get your phone ready. Its hysterical, and amazing how fast they eat it. I would love to watch the video! Im giggling at my desk just writing you this.

13ChickenGirl likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They don't like the rind so much...Its the flesh they love...My Dogs eat the rinds or my Horses do...:frow

5. Chandra Prater

Chandra Prater Out Of The Brooder

I throw a watermelon into the air and allow it to break on impact. The girls all run over and go crazy on it. They figure it out :)

DuckLady and 13ChickenGirl like this.
  6. Tilly6

Tilly6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    My dogs try to steal it before the ducks are done, but the goose attacks and they run away

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My ducks recognize a whole watermelon as their personal property, so when I buy one, I have to buy 1 for them as well. They swarm me as I am taking it out of the car and I trip over them as I go and toss it on the ground hard enough for it to break up for them.
    They leave the bare dead rind for me to find with the lawn mower.

13ChickenGirl and Wickedchicken6 like this.
  8. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I do the same as those above. The poultry eat the flesh of the watermelon and leave the VERY thin, green skin. They leave nothing to waste. :thumbsup

9. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    When we had ducks we left a bit of red on the rinds and toss them in a bag then into the freezer. Great Summer treat!! They loved it and so did the chickens!

DuckLady likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by