1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watermelons OK?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Foxhound lady, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    We have a little watermelon that's vine died and its not quite ripe yet is it ok to slice and feed to the chickens. Otherwise its going in the compost pile.

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! My sweeties looove watermelon! Your chickens would probably enjoy it if you give it to them. Perfectly safe and nutritious for them too [​IMG]

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Mine love it too,It won't hurt them.Mine pick it down til it looks like an empty football skin. Will
    [​IMG]

4. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    They'll love it, you just have to watch out for the flying watermelon scraps [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Watermelon is my chickens FAV!

6. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Quote:Hehe mine too! I was trying to think of a way to describe those watermelon shells;)

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    [​IMG]

8. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    Mine Love it!

9. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    If you really want them to be happy - take the melon and split it. Put your split sides down on the ground. Wait a day or 2, turn it over and take a look. Should be lots of yummy little bugs in there now. Now give the melon to the chickies. Talk about a feast! [​IMG]

10. Tiempo

Tiempo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Stockbridge, MI
    I have a large rock in the middle of my chicken run, when the watermelons are cheap at the roadside stands, I like to bring one home and throw it on the rock, it explodes and shatters.

The flock loves it, and it's kind of fun too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by