waterproof this dust bath?

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi all! I am building a dust bath similar to this picture. I am also using that clean roofing material to cover three sides of it as well. However I want to know if I should screw in a tarp or some sort of bottom to keep water from leaking underneath it and wetting the soil in the bath. I’m not sure what the best way to water proof dirt could be. Should I make a wood bottom? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you all!

Attachments

• 0B9D616B-3794-4B94-9A57-D0722C79FFDD.png
    0B9D616B-3794-4B94-9A57-D0722C79FFDD.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Aug 17, 2020
the dryer the better, the bottom depends on if you want to move it, or dump it out at some point, no bottom would be harder to do either. Mine are very good at inventing dust baths all over the place, happiest ones are at the foot of pine trees where there is nice shade and few plants grow.

The only ones I 'made' are an indoor one used when I need to keep a 'hospitalized' chicken happy (which is a little dish washing tub with some garden dirt that I 'cooked' dry by putting it on a very hot radiator in an old kitchen pot) and the other is a corner of the coop for winter bathing, since the ground is frozen solid for many months of the year. In both cases dumping it out is nice because it will at some point need to be changed, they bring or leave things in the bath.

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
the dryer the better, the bottom depends on if you want to move it, or dump it out at some point, no bottom would be harder to do either. Mine are very good at inventing dust baths all over the place, happiest ones are at the foot of pine trees where there is nice shade and few plants grow.

The only ones I 'made' are an indoor one used when I need to keep a 'hospitalized' chicken happy (which is a little dish washing tub with some garden dirt that I 'cooked' dry by putting it on a very hot radiator in an old kitchen pot) and the other is a corner of the coop for winter bathing, since the ground is frozen solid for many months of the year. In both cases dumping it out is nice because it will at some point need to be changed, they bring or leave things in the bath.
I loved reading about your flock! Using a radiator is genius! I plan on cleaning mine out using a shovel so I don’t have to move it

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
My current dust bath is waterproof, which is a must for me because we get so much rain that ground dampness would keeping my old dust bath moist most of the year, even if I kept if covered.

turtle.jpg

A tarp may or may not work... if you can fit it snugly inside the bath, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Or if you could find a plastic tray that would fit inside, that would work as well.

Aug 17, 2020
chicken pooper scooper for it though.
I have recently tried peat moss (which is just a fine powder) and it is easy to keep clean, never becomes wet. It clumps up any poo, and that is super easy to clean with a cat-poo-scooper. It works GREAT for duck-poo (which is so wet it is usually a terrible mess) and also for chicken poo. The ducks don't dust-bathe but they do like to rummage through it looking for anything that might be in there. I have started hiding mealworms in theirs so they aren't hunting with no chance of success. I think they would like to find an occasional frog, but they will have to wait for spring to bring those.

Top Bottom