1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

waterproofing floors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TNMamaw, Apr 29, 2008.

1. TNMamaw

TNMamaw New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    OK I am a newbie and this may sound crazy but can anyone tell me if it is safe to waterproof a floor of a chicken coop using an epoxy resin? Input would be great. I have been reading other's posts about whitewashing the interior and exterior of a coop for mite and insect prevention. We are in the processes of building a 7x11 ft chicken house and wanted to water proof the floors. Any suggestions?
    Thanks all!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as it dries up and isn't giving any more fumes off, it should be fine.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I did that with mine--but I wish I would have known about putting vinyl down--because I've only had mine two years and it's already getting mushy...and it's 1" thick plywood....

DARN ducks! [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would try and find a piece of vinyl instead. I used the vinyl and love it! I just bought the cheapest stuff available at Lowes. It was 47 cents a square ft. The vinyl would be much easier than trying to epoxy the whole coop! It would probably last a lot longer too! [​IMG] I bou

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd use epoxy paint, which works well, but sure, nothing wrong with it, it is pretty good 'n' nontoxic once dry. Keep animals WELL away from the fumes while you're applying it though (don't know about resin, but epoxy paint you really NEED to wear an appropriate fume-type respirator mask. I epoxy painted a LOT of stock tanks back in grad school, some with a woefully inadequate cartridge in the mask, and believe me you don't wanna do that [​IMG])

Pat

6. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    check around, you might be able to get marine grade plywood. marine grade plywood is impregnated with epoxy/resins to resist water. be ready to spend some $$ on it.

if you cant find that, go to a marine supply shop and look for a spar varnish/polyurethane product that is super thick. the stuff at the hardware store only protects (waterproofs) up to one year.

vinyl is only good if you can keep the moisture from getting underneath it. so any cuts, dings, unsealed edges on the vinyl will cause a failure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by