Waterville Maine 2012 Farm days swap @ Tractor Supply Co

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
This will be the main thread for the Waterville Maine Tractor Supply Swaps for 2012.
next swap is (swaps will be 2nd Saturday of month until Oct)

October 13th-Sunday Farm Days Swap 9--1
and bonus swap on pet appreciation day Aug 18th (hours will be 10-2)
Pet Appreciation day will feature a dog wash, dog trainer, rabies clinic as well as a farm day swap.

All swaps are held at the Tractor Supply Co parking lot located at 10 Kennedy Memorial Dr, Waterville (in the mall with hannaford, TJ maxx and the old LL bean call center)

For those selling, make sure to bring water for your animals and boxes to send them home in. (also remember to clean up after yourself when you leave, we want to be invited back)
for those buying, bring boxes, they seem to be hard to come by some weekends and plenty of cash to spend.

please remember the 6 chick rule, if they are under 8 weeks, they must be sold in lots of 6 or more .

now all the legal mumbo jumbo (thanks bob for sharing)
------------------------------------

IT WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH VENDOR TO ABIDE BY STATE OF MAINE LAWS AND REGULATIONS; TO PROVIDE ANY REQUIRED LICENSING, ADEQUATE SHELTER, CAGING, WATER AND FOOD FOR THEIR ANIMALS; & TO CLEAN UP THEIR AREAS WHEN LEAVING.

Maine State Laws governing the sale of poultry/waterfowl & goats

Maine State Law:

MAINE RULES AND REGS ON SALES OF LIVESTOCK, POULTRY, WATERFOWL, MILK, CHEESE

http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/ahi/ahisr.html
5A. ALL SHEEP AND GOATS IN MAINE AND OUT OF STATE ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE SCRAPIE TAGS.
clarification of scrape info:

all goats or sheep leaving their farm (with the intent to be sold,going to a show, in or out of state) need to have a scrape number. this number is on a tag or can be tattooed on the animal. tags are free and so is the applicator. the person needs to call Gail at the fed USDA 866-873-2824< and she will send out tags for the farm and the applicator. the tag is a way to trace back to the farm of origin if there is a problem. so if she has a goat that she bought elsewhere and it has a scrape tag, it doesn't need a new tag as long as that tag is still attached to the animal. if the tag come off, she needs to put on her scrape tag. if she goes the tattoo route, ear, thigh, or tail fold.

Read more: http://farmdaysanfordmaine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rules&action=display&thread=1#ixzz1qskeyCwn

5B. Poultry
At public events in Maine you must sell any birds under 8 weeks old in lots of 6, above the 8 weeks, they can go one at a time. Now, from your house or farm you can sell singular birds of any age.
They can be any breed/ any ages mix or match if under 8 weeks. They do need to be the same species (6 ducks, 6 chicks, 6 turkeys)

NO PROCESSING OR NEUTERING OF ANIMALS

Rabbits and guinea pigs must be completely weaned and minimum of 8 weeks old.
(this does not apply to other livestock)

RULES FOR OUT OF STATE VENDORS

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/01/001/001c206.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Ellsworth. Taking the plunge, want to get a little flock of egg layers. Had to sell my wonderful flock of K.Campbells last summer after my husband died suddenly. Have always had some sort of egg layers, really enjoy them, the quality is way better and can't bear to support CAFOs. Thinking about 3 or 4 hens and a banty rooster or 5 banty hens and a rooster. The feed stores had the chicks early and are through. Would much rather buy from a breeder andyway. Thinking about banty Wyndottes, or Ameriaucana, or maybe rosecomb leghorn, a Silky perhaps. Once I had a banty Cochin who was a great layer, tho Cochins are not supposed to be good layers. I am interested in egg production,and manageable ( I know those are a little in conflict as the layers tend to be flighty) but some strains might be better in some aspects than the average. Does the TFS in Bangor have swaps or any breeders within say 50 miles of Ellsworth or Bangor? If I can't get bantys, might want to go with Hambergs, Lackenvelters or Rosecomb Brown Leghorns if can find a strain that are bred for laying and not just for show at the expense of laying ability.

I spoke with the bangor TSC and they were supposed to let me know when they started swaps so i could post it up, no word yet. I have wyandottes and they are not flighty, very manageable, lay well but not every day and are not bantams.
I live in Ellsworth. Taking the plunge, want to get a little flock of egg layers. Had to sell my wonderful flock of K.Campbells last summer after my husband died suddenly. Have always had some sort of egg layers, really enjoy them, the quality is way better and can't bear to support CAFOs. Thinking about 3 or 4 hens and a banty rooster or 5 banty hens and a rooster. The feed stores had the chicks early and are through. Would much rather buy from a breeder andyway. Thinking about banty Wyndottes, or Ameriaucana, or maybe rosecomb leghorn, a Silky perhaps. Once I had a banty Cochin who was a great layer, tho Cochins are not supposed to be good layers. I am interested in egg production,and manageable ( I know those are a little in conflict as the layers tend to be flighty) but some strains might be better in some aspects than the average. Does the TFS in Bangor have swaps or any breeders within say 50 miles of Ellsworth or Bangor? If I can't get bantys, might want to go with Hambergs, Lackenvelters or Rosecomb Brown Leghorns if can find a strain that are bred for laying and not just for show at the expense of laying ability.

hoping for good weather next saturday june 9th for this swap.
I know I will have 2 black orp pullets, 1 black cockeral, some various colored silkies and as it gets closer I will see what else I have avialable.

I am looking to get some more girls. I would like to get some Orpingtons and or some Wyandottes but I am also interested in RIR and leghorns. Hopefully I can make it to both the chicken swap and the farm days.

Hoppy- I'm interested in the black orpington pullets you are going to bring. How old are they?

I am looking for white ducks, and white chickens. Also a male mini lop rabbit, and nigerian dwarf goats. I will be going to the tsc on the 9th swap. Will anyone have anything I am looking for? Thanks

if you don't find the white ducks at the swap, pm me afterwards and I will give the you name of someone that has pekings.

I am looking for white ducks, and white chickens. Also a male mini lop rabbit, and nigerian dwarf goats. I will be going to the tsc on the 9th swap. Will anyone have anything I am looking for? Thanks

Hello!
I am looking for some nice pullets @ 4-9 wks old and/or also an old broody hen - doesnt matter is she lays eggs or not. I had a super awesome old banty hen that was given to me who was the best mom for many many years- even tho she had long stopped laying. I miss her. :( because my other girls, they just dont seem very maternally inclined.
Anyway, I live way up in Maxfield, so does anyone know if there will be a fair number of people selling pullets at this swap? I don't want to make a 2 hr drive and come back empty handed. Would love some Ameraucanas, Banties, or RI Reds or....
So does anyone have any idea how big or little this swap will be?
Thanks!
Gryphon

this will be the 2nd swap for this location so not really known what kind of turn out will be get on a regular basis. you could call the bangor tractor supply and see if they are planning any swaps.
i spoke with a woman last week then drove 2 hours to go to the augusta swap and then the show the next day in windsor. Augusta is a great location for poultry buying but that is 20 miles further south and alot of the same vendors so you may get lucky in waterville.
Hello!
I am looking for some nice pullets @ 4-9 wks old and/or also an old broody hen - doesnt matter is she lays eggs or not. I had a super awesome old banty hen that was given to me who was the best mom for many many years- even tho she had long stopped laying. I miss her. :( because my other girls, they just dont seem very maternally inclined.
Anyway, I live way up in Maxfield, so does anyone know if there will be a fair number of people selling pullets at this swap? I don't want to make a 2 hr drive and come back empty handed. Would love some Ameraucanas, Banties, or RI Reds or....
So does anyone have any idea how big or little this swap will be?
Thanks!
Gryphon

I am planning on going to the Waterville swap with some young stock. I am pretty sure I will have 4 gold laced wyndotts, 2 white leghorns, some BCM chicks, and some mixed birds, some Black Spanish turkey poults, maybe some guinea keets if they are not all sold come swap day, and whatever else I can find not nailed down. I might even bring some laying hens, not sure on that one though.

Back
Top Bottom