watery chick poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dftkarin, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I have 7 chicks that were hatched on 7/9 and been with me since 7/10 and they all seem healthy and are eating, drinking, scratching at litter - but some of them have really watery (and stinky!) poop. They are in a large brooder with a heat lamp, I change the water several times a day, have completely changed the litter 2 times, I scoop out poopy clumps of litter every so often. They eat medicated chick starter. Should I worry? Is there anything I can do to help? Since they are so young, I don;t think I should feed them anything else, right?

2. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    I had a chicky that way that out grew it but if you can, I would add some probiotics to their water just in case.
    Lov
    Liv

3. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Sprinkle some raw oatmeal around for them to peck at for a couple days. That helps bind up their poops enough so they get back to normal.

4. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Where do I get probiotics? Is it safe to give them and/or raw oatmeal to chicks this young and small? They are only 5 days old. I have oatmeal and could try it.

5. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Probiotics are the good bacteria in everyone and almost everything's intestines. I get mine at the health food store. It also comes in that Grow B Gel that the Hatcheries sell to get your chicks off to a good start. It's also that stuff in yogurt that helps with diareah.
    Lov
    Liv

6. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    try the oatmeal. it worked well for my gals. careful with the yoghurt...they love it so much they can easily overeat it if you give too much. also they don't need calcium just yet either, not good for their kidneys.

7. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
    Do a search in the forums here for "splort" and see if what's going on with your chicks meets that description. Freaked me out at first and is really foul and unpleasant stuff (pun intended) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by