Watery clear sticky fluid from chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Porch Chickens, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Porch Chickens

Porch Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    One of our chickens laid her first egg ever today. Later in the day, when my son picked her up so I could take a photo of him holding her, quite a bit of clear fluid ran out of her vent and all down his pant leg, even spattering on his shoes.
    There is no smell at all, and she seems perfectly happy. We searched on here a bit and found a couple of people saying it can mean stessed or egg-bound. This chicken is way near the top of the pecking order in our flock. Nobody picks on her, that's for sure. I don't know much about egg-bound chickens, but can they be egg-bound if they just laid a beautiful egg and are behaving normally?
    Anyone have any clues? Can this be normal after the first egg? I didn't notice it in any of the others, but maybe we didn't pick them up afterwards.

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    It's possible, but I don't think she's eggbound. It shouldn't be unusual for something like this to happen when a hen lays for the first time ever, after all she's pretty new to the whole thing. If she seems happy then I wouldn't be worried. One thing I'm curious about: if you've cracked open the egg, was it perfectly normal? (Because it just crossed my mind that it could've been something that belonged inside or on the egg.)

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Same thing iis happening here! I didn't think anything of it, but maybe I should. What breed is it? Mine is 4 yrs and doesn't lay.......... she is a dark Cornish bantam:/

4. Porch Chickens

Jan 23, 2013
    Ours is an Aurucana. Just laid her first beautiful green egg before this happened. See pics of son holding Rue and daughter holding egg!: )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Sounds like egg yolk peritonitis. I have a Barred Rock hen dropping shell less eggs. The yolk and whites are excreted, and soon after, a shriveled soft shell. No amount of supplementation can cure it since it is genetic. She's otherwise healthy for now, so I let her live a quality life. I know it will shorten it though. If you get birds like this from a hatchery, never do business with them again and tell everyone you know. Genetic testing would be the responsible route for hatcheries, but money is their primary goal.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Young, healthy hen, has just started laying and in fact has just laid a beautiful, normal egg.... my gut reaction would be that this is nothing to worry about, unless you see it happen more and more. Sometimes a few strange things will happen when pullets lay their first few eggs, sometimes it takes a few times for the system to begin to work exactly the way it should. Maybe this wasn't even egg related but some kind of oddball poop, who knows! So, if this were my bird I'd not worry about it unless I saw more of the same keep happening.

7. Porch Chickens

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks everyone. Since she's laying, and seems healthy and happy, I won't worry for now. We'll just keep an eye on things.
    Thanks!: )

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Excuse my last post due to reading comprehension this morning. The hen is young. Totally normal but something to pay attention to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by