Watery Crop, Watery Poos, Laying Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thorleifur, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Thorleifur

Thorleifur In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2017
    My hen is 7 months old, has been laying since 5 months (only taking a day or two off on rare occasion). She has not laid for two days and has been having watery poos. Sometimes no solids, all clear liquid. Today I noticed she was drinking excessive amounts of water which has made her crop look and sound like a water balloon. Her beak drips some water when she is bent over foraging. I tried massaging it, she did not seem to mind.

One watery poop had no solids, all clear liquid except for a small bit of runny yolk. After another watery poo, she passed the yolk which was damaged and partially cooked looking . No shell.

I added oyster shell to the coop (She was getting some daily but just when she was let outside). She gets lots of cherry tomato and cauliflower for treats. She does have an issue with eating paint off of the garage...

Could the egg issue be normal for a one off occurrence? All other behaviors seem normal.

Will see if the crop empties in the morning and if there is a normal egg.

Attached Files:

2. theuglychick

theuglychick Crowing

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
  3. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    unfortunately i don't know what is called, but she had an egg break inside her. I don't know that's there is anything you can do. Antibiotics might help but if she doesn't pass all the gunk she may never lay again or may always have issues.

4. theuglychick

theuglychick Crowing

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Sorry to read that. I hope she gets through it.

5. Thorleifur

Sep 16, 2017
    No egg again today. The crop seems to be emptying a bit since her poos have more solids now. Definitely going less now though. She seems less lively and walks around slowly... not her normal spy self. Her tail is lowered so it is almost flat. She was also sitting in the coop on the floor which is abnormal for her.

I withdrew feed today and added apple cider vinegar to the waterer.

6. Thorleifur

Sep 16, 2017
    Still no eggs and it has been nearly a week. Crop seems much better now and she is back on feed and getting some yogurt and regular treats. She does not seem in pain or to be behaving abnormally. I can't feel any bound eggs. Hoping her system is cleared of any egg debris. It it normal for birds to stop laying for periods longer than a couple to a few days?

Her poos are now smaller than normal and have little moisture. She drinks a lot each time at the waterer.

7. Thorleifur

Sep 16, 2017
    Well almost a week later my hen laid a normal egg :D

Poops are more normal now, too and crop is all better! Glad things worked out for her.

She is loving the yogurt treats!

8. theuglychick

theuglychick Crowing

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Yay!!! That's awesome! So glad she's better.

Thorleifur likes this.
  9. Thorleifur

Sep 16, 2017
    Thanks so much!!! She is so happy again and I am less neurotic.

I think her system just needed to recover after laying only a yolk.

theuglychick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: