1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watery egg whites.........Why??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henloverinmaine, Jan 3, 2009.

1. henloverinmaine

henloverinmaine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Downeast coastal Maine
    Happy New Year everyone![​IMG] I have 8 laying hens of different ages. Four of them are in their second year of laying and four are about 8 months old. Some of our larger eggs (2.8-3.1 oz) seem to be having very watery whites. We are assuming they are coming from the older hens as those eggs are the same size they have been laying all along, and the whites on those eggs have always been very firm. The babies are laying smaller eggs, and the whites on those eggs are normal. No changes in food. Still eat free choice and are allowed to free range whenever there is no snow in their way.
    Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    Thanks much!!
    Peg

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Three reasons I can think of. First, a molt can do all sorts of things to egg quality. Second, Infectious Bronchitis will affect the egg whites if they've had a past infection. Third, some have said it can be genetic, but I'm less likely to think that is the case than the aforementioned two.
    One of my hens started having watery whites, and she was the only one. She was in a molt, then stopped laying entirely. Eventually, we realized she was laying internally and when she was too weak to continue, we euthanized her. Since internal laying is hormonal, could be the watery whites may have been, too, but I'm not sure about that.

3. SilkieChick00

SilkieChick00 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I have the same problem. My girls are just 6 month's old and have been laying for almost 3 weeks now. I think it's my BO girls that are doing it.
    I'll try to explain what mine are doing. They crack and stay together great. My oldest likes over-easy eggs so while making his I have to actually puncture the white that surrounds the egg. That way all of the water stuff comes out. I hope that made sense at all... lol.
    I wonder if it's just farm fresh eggs? Or is it because our girls are still in the newbie laying stage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by