Watery Egg Whites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowgirl67, Dec 14, 2011.

1. cowgirl67

cowgirl67 New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    Recently we noticed some of our extra large eggs have very watery egg whites. Has anyone had this problem and did you find the cause, was there a solution?

2. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    Some of mine have been like that....I'm new to fresh eggs so I thought it was normal.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Watery egg whites are a symptom of old eggs or eggs that got frozen.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. cowgirl67

cowgirl67 New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    The eggs were one week old and we don't get cold enough here to freeze eggs. I'm still stumped. Thank you:/[​IMG]

6. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just made my usual omelet and discovered that my two golden comets egg whites are watery. At first I thought the skillet wasn't hot enough, but when I redid it with the second egg I realized the whites are different. ?? Both eggs were laid this morning and weren't at all in danger of freezing. This has me concerned!

I read that molting can cause this? Their feathers are looking a little strange the last week or so, but I didn't think spring chicks would molt their first winter.

Ideas?

7. cowgirl67

cowgirl67 New Egg

Dec 14, 2011
    Some of our younger chickens have started to molt also. [​IMG] This has caused me to molt too! hee hee:cd

8. meekasmom

meekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Elkhart, IN
    One of my hens; Henny Penny has always laid eggs that have been watery. Can't give you a reason why they are that way, but she's the only one that does that.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I found this info: but I have no personal knowledge of what causes it.
    Found this information from the University of Florida (edis publication)

Inherited -could be just this if more than one is laying them and are from the same breeder.?

Diseases: Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, laryngotracheitis or Egg Drop Syndrome 76 - as a result of illness eggs quality can be poor in both content and egg shell formation

High egg storage temperature (and age of stored eggs)

Age of hens: incidence higher with older hens (this is most likely)

High level of ammonia from droppings

Loss of CO2 from egg

High vanadium levels in the feed (dont think applicable in the UK

10. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm very concerned that it's bronchitis. Recently I've heard of a few of my chickens making the strangest sound, which I would probably describe as "chirping". It's only once every couple of days, but I'd never heard a chicken make a sound like that before.

I'll check some more eggs tomorrow and hope it's just a fluke. They'd had several changes going on (integrated some younger girls, small food change, and culled head rooster), so hopefully it's something minor related to that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by