1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

watery eggs - need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Just Fluff, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Just Fluff

Just Fluff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Hello,

We're getting random eggs that when cracked are very watery and spread all over the pan. I collect my eggs every evening, so they're not old eggs. I'm not sure if it's only one hen or several, as it's so random, I don't notice which egg it's coming from. And usually my husband cooks breakfast, so all I know about it is when he complains about them.

Any thoughts? Diet? If so, what's lacking? Nothing has changed lately. Temperatures are in the 80's-90's, with frequent afternoon thunderstorms. I let them free range in the afternoon.

Thanks!!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I occasionally get one like that too. Here's some info:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/30/watery-whites

and:

Weak, thin or watery whites
    Age of hens- Replace hens after 12 to 14 months of lay.

Ammonia from droppings- Better ventilation, use superphosphate on litter and
    manure and remove droppings regularly.

Increased alkalinity, (pH)-Loss of
    CO2
    Use a shell coating such as oil or refrigerated
    temperatures (40 to 55°F).

Respiratory diseases (Newcastle,
    infectious bronchitis, and
    laryngotracheitis)
    Follow a recommended program for vaccination and
    disease prevention in poultry.

Heredity Select strains of known egg white (albumen) quality.

Arasan Do not use arasan treated grains in the diet of layers.

Vanadium Use sources of phosphorus in feeds known to have
    low amounts or none.

High environmental temperatures Collect eggs often (three to five times a day) and
    hold in refrigerated temperatures (40 to 55°F.).

Sulfanilamide (sulfa drugs) Use according to accepted recommendations.

Hope this helps

Imp

3. Just Fluff

Just Fluff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Thank you so much Imp! The hens are over a year old, so that might be part of it. I do need to take a minute to clean out the indoor coop, not that it's bad, but it could use a cleaning. Some of the other things I'm not sure how to check, but this will definitely give me something to work with!

JustFluff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by