Watery eggs

Shoemaker319

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Hi y’all!
what can cause watery eggs?
I have a set of hens about a year and a half and some hens that just started laying!
but in the last week, I’ve been getting watery egg whites! What can I do to stop that??
They are free ranged birds

hello @Shoemaker319 - welcome to BYC :frow

a very fresh egg white consists of 2 parts, a distinctly thicker part nearest the yolk and a watery part surrounding it. As the egg ages, the white gets more homogeneous and runny. How are the watery egg whites you're talking about different from this?

Nutrition.
Free range should improve egg quality, provided that is is pristine forage with a variety of animal, vegetative, seed forage available.
Other than free range, what do you feed your chickens?

hello @Shoemaker319 - welcome to BYC :frow

a very fresh egg white consists of 2 parts, a distinctly thicker part nearest the yolk and a watery part surrounding it. As the egg ages, the white gets more homogeneous and runny. How are the watery egg whites you're talking about different from this?
These eggs about only about a week old, so it’s not old eggs.
they are just way more watery than a normal egg. It wasn’t just one egg, it’s all of them so I’m curious on why this is Haopening

Nutrition.
Free range should improve egg quality, provided that is is pristine forage with a variety of animal, vegetative, seed forage available.
Other than free range, what do you feed your chickens?
they free range all day everyday, they get a basic chicken feed from tsc that they’ve always been on, I give them watermelon a lot.
I have goats so they do pick up the sweet feed that the goats get on the ground.

Do you check the mill date on the feed when you buy it? Old feed will quickly lose nutrients, especially fat soluble vitamins and essential amino acids.
I don't know what is in the sweet feed or how much of it the chickens are eating so I can't comment on if that could be a concern. The sweet feed, if much is consumed, could be too high in fiber, fat, salt or sugar.

Back
Top Bottom