Watery eggwhites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M.sue, Aug 20, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    My girls have started laying 2 1/2 weeks ago. [​IMG] 6 out of my 11 hens are laying. All 19 wks. with the exception of 4 being approx. 22 wks (Isa Browns). I've noticed that some of the egg whites are partially runny like water. The yokes are a nice deep color. With some, the eggs whites are thick surrounding the yoke and then tend to spread out & be runny like water. Is this because they are just starting to lay? Will this improve with age? They are not old eggs, they are picked up daily at various times and refrigerated. Is it my refrigeration temp? Am I placing them in the refrigerator too soon? [​IMG] Older posts addressed the similar question but didn't actually answer it. One mentioned Infectious Bronchitis and I had a flash of panic.[​IMG] My girls are healthy, eat grain, scratch, veggies, get dairy treats, grit, oyster shells and free range 2-5hrs. daily. None appear ill. Their shells are nice & thick. Suggestions & opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Be aware that egg whites in fresh eggs are not like egg whites in commercial eggs. My girls are not laying as well as they once did, and I am having to supplement with store eggs. My 15 yo is whining because the white isn't "right". So check into that before you decide they are sick, might just be the difference between fresh and commercial.

3. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    How old are your girls? Mine are still tweens and just starting. I can see this occurance from an old or sick hen but from new layers? I never did find a shell-less egg like so many do when first start to lay. I just gave a client, co-worker, and boss some eggs. I hope they aren't turned off if they have any that are watery. The eggs are totally fine and we've eaten them.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    In the summer you may see the thin egg whites. The hens drink more water and that can cause it. Also do you refrigerate your eggs right after they are lain? If not that could cause it too. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

5. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I refrigerate them right after I collect. Collection is several times through the day since they don't all lay at the same time. Collection immediately right after laying would be impossible although I have collected some very fresh/warm eggs at times. I have been getting 5-6 a day so far. My girls have been drinking alot of water and it is always available to them in several spots.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  6. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Mine also have two textures in the egg white; an extremely thick pouch of albumen that "stands up in the pan" around the yolk but that is surrounded by a smaller amount of egg white that is indeed more runny, more like a factory egg white. Is that not normal? Perhaps the extra thickness of the albumen in the home grown ones just makes for a greater contrast with the more liquid portion of the white. [​IMG] Regardless, the eggs are great and the total raw viscosity is substantial.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by