Watery eye

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alice4, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Alice4

Alice4 New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    Our son took my husband and myself for his birthday dinner July 26, I left my chickens out in the run.
    When we come home my husband said one of my chickens was out. We don't have a cover on the run yet.
    Something may have spook her and she flew out. She looked ok went I caught her and put her back in the run.
    My husband said that her eye looked funny. on Sunday. It was red and she had a couple of lumps under her eye.
    I have use Ophthalmic Gel on her eye twice a day. One of the lumps has gone but the other one is still there.
    and is still red around her eye.
    I have tired Neosporin Ointment on her eye and nothing has chanced. I was thinking about useing Tetroxy HCA-280
    in her drinking water. and putting her in a different pen. Or just keeping her where she is with the raise of chickens and have them drink the same water. I have four of the hens laying. She is one of them. Some one said you can't eat the eggs while you are gaving them Tetroxy HCA-280. Can any one help

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry your hen is having problems with her eye. You should immediately post this on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. In the meanwhile, since the ointment doesn't seem to be working for her eye, and since the other hens are not showing the same symptoms, I would go ahead and isolate her and use the HCA-280 in only her drinking water. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in treating your hen.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your birds eye. Definitely post this in our emergency section for more help. I hope she makes a full recovery. [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You surely don't want an eye problem going on to long. Do you think a predator tried to get her, or maybe she got hurt on part of the fence? You have been given advice on the meds and also to post on the ER thread. I hope you hen will start improving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by