pudellvr

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Florence, SC
My Coop
My Coop
Help!!
I got 3 laying hens last week. They are each approx 1 yr old. My SLW just seems a bit off to me. I noticed her eyes seem watery with little air bubbles. She is eating, drinking, scratching and pooing but just mostly stays to herself and cant be tempted with treats. I finally got my hands on her at roosting time tonight. She was not impressed. I saw no infection. Maybe it's the breed. IDK. She has a bunch of golden feathers mixed with her white. She has laid no eggs.

The other two are settling in well. We got one egg out of the BA and 2 out of the BCM.

Any ideas?

Bubbles in the eye(s) are not a good sign and usually indicates a respiratory disease, possibly coryza or mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.)
Symptoms can be much worse for watch you described, especially if there's stress involved with your sick bird. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry. Scroll down to Coryza and Mycoplasm a Gallisepticum (MG) and read about them if you wish.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If I give a antibiotic where is a good place to find dosing?

I recommend purchasing tylan 50 injectable. It should be in the cattle section at your feed store. You'll need a syringe with needle to withdraw it from the bottle. You can give it orally rather than injecting if you wish. Oral dosage is 1/2cc once a day for 5 days. You can go 7 days IF necessary but no more than that. You should see improvement in about 3-4 days.

I just gave her 1cc injection of tylan after doing some more searching. Tractor supply had everything I needed.
I read that the injectable is only 3 days of dosing. Hope to see some improvement soon. It was a good opportunity for my DD to help.

You're correct, 3 days injecting. Dont inject into the same spot each day, alternate areas of the breast.

thumbsup.gif
Checked on the girls this morning and Henny Penny (SLW) was up on a perch with an interested gleam in her eye. The air bubbles were almost gone and SHE LET ME STROKE HER!!! I am so glad that BackyardChickens was around to help me learn what to do.

Back
Top Bottom