1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watery Eyes in turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DCS, May 4, 2009.

1. DCS

DCS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi all,

I have 15 nearly 3 week old turkeys and have noticed a couple of them have started with watery eyes and perhaps slightly increased nasal secretions. They seem to be acting normal, eating and drinking - any thoughts?

It's not all of them - should I single out the ones that are runny? They have been quarantined in my garage brooder with some other day-old TSC chicks. No new additions since the turkeys as day-olds, and the chicks seem fine at this point.

I'm not a fan of antibiotics, but would prefer to treat prophylactically. Any input appreciated.

It did occur to me that I hadn't aired out the garage in a few days- maybe there's some subtle ammonia buildup, so I'm airing it out now.

2. DCS

Nov 26, 2008
    Oh, and some of them seem to have slightly reddened faces - not all, and it might be the irritation from the secretions. No sneezing that I heard.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Poults can get sinus problems very quickly. If you can smell ammonia the litter needs changed asap. See how they look after that.

Steve in NC

4. DCS

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks- just did a 100% litter change. (The brooder is about 7' x 5', but there are quite a few birds in it.) I'll keep a close eye on them, and the garage door open for the rest of the day. I couldn't smell any ammonia, but better safe than sorry.

I picked up some soluble oxytetracycline and some "vitamins and electrolytes plus" at the feed store just in case - knowing that usually it's nighttime or weekend when you decide you need it. Hopefully won't need it.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Make sure they aren't over crowded, that's not good either. Hopefully fresh litter and the door open should do the trick

Steve

6. DCS

Nov 26, 2008
    How much space? They seem to all want to sleep on top of each other. I will be moving some of the chickens out soon anyway - was hoping to wait another week or two, though.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Do you have a roost on the brooder? that helps alot and gets them used to the idea of roosting. We just use 2x2's set on top of bricks. That gets them up off the litter.

8. DCS

Nov 26, 2008
    Yep - they aren't very graceful, but they do use it. But there probably isn't enough roosting space - will add more.

I'll throw some more 2x4s - I have their water jug propped up so they won't flip too many shavings in it. Hadn't thought of using a brick, but I've got some of them...

At the moment, there are 15 turkeys and 18 chicks, but some of the chicks need to move out soon.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Adding more roosts will help and giving them some more room will help. How are they doing now with the fresh litter and the door open?

Steve

10. DCS

Nov 26, 2008
    Well, I've been in and out of there all day, and it doesn't seem to have helped. I also just noticed little "Purple Butt" (he's the BR who got pecked at 3 days old and still has the blue kote on his rear) seems to be coughing or sneezing - I really can't tell. One eye also looks like it has a coating over it, and I couldn't wipe it away. I can post a pic, if that would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by