Watery eyes?

robinef

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
Hi there! We just adopted two hens yesterday, and didn't notice until we got home that one has some watery-looking eyes. It almost looks like suds coming from her tear ducts. We actually don't know about her eating or drinking habits yet as she's still shy around us and pretty much avoids making eye contact at all costs when we're nearby. She hasn't started laying yet, but could start any day now...her sister just started. What do you think?

This picture is of the less noticeable eye.. I'll try to get a better one from the other side later. Again, not excited about being anywhere near me at this point. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

If you mean she has bubbles in her eyes which sounds like what you're describing, that is a sign of a respiratory disease. Most of them are highly contagious and once you have them they can't be gotten rid of. Keep her in quarantine and keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't start displaying any other signs like sneezing, nasal discharge, etc. It could just be she got poked in the eye (although that's unlikely if she has this in both eyes) but better safe than sorry. Keep the one that came with her in quarantine too. They can carry these diseases with no signs and pass them onto your healthy birds and get your whole flock sick.

Last edited:
Yes sounds like that's what it is, and her neck is wet. I've been reading up, and it looks like perhaps there are some meds we can put in her water?

I talked with the woman we bought them from, she said we can exchange them. Do you think I should bring both back, or just the one showing symptoms?

I talked with the woman we bought them from, she said we can exchange them. Do you think I should bring both back, or just the one showing symptoms?

I wouldn't take any from her to be safe. Chickens can carry this without symptoms. If one bird from her flock has it, if it is a respiratory disease, they likely all do. She was just stressed enough at the time you got her to be showing symptoms. I'd take the two back and get more from a different source.

Trust me, I have had a disease a like this infect my flock before. The only way to get rid of it is to cull the whole flock. You don't want that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom