Watery Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My rooster has developed really watery eyes. Both are affected.

He has been like this about 6 days, and he is showing no other symptoms of disease.

He is still acting normally, eating and running about, crowing, mating etc.

He is not scratching at his eyes, and the eyes are only very slightly swollen - hardly noticeable.

But his eyes are full of water. Looks like he is crying. There are not bubbles or anything like that, his breathing is normal.

Any ideas what this is? None of my other chickens are effected.

2. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Jak , do you have dust area or a wood pile

Is there any thing that could put debrees in his eyes ?
    I just looked it up as well
    Watery eyes is usually a sign of either an eye infection or respiratory illness.

I call it a Cold Its getting cold out side . i hope he gets better

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Thanks for replying.

I think its some kind of 'cold'. I was worried my other chickens would get sick too. But they are all fine.

His eyes look great in the afternoon and evening. Its just in the morning they are really runny and sometimes have one or 2 small bubbles in them.

I got some medicine to add to his water. I don't want the other chickens and chicks to drink it in case it harms them, so I put the rooster in a cage.

I feel so sorry for him. He hates it in there and is going crazy trying to get out. I was worried he was going to injure himself, so I let him out after only an hour. I am not sure what to do about the medicine now. uh. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

4. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Can you get some Wire and Just section him off in the main coop ?
    Get a thermomiter in there and check temps .

I am with you and thinking cold i have one that hates the cold when she was born she hurt her back and every yr she hunches up a little i put a 25 watt light in with the girls since they have a good temp but then again if it is a cold maybe he needs to be with the warmth,.

You could just section him off with his meds for an hr at a time .
    after how ever long you spend time you guys can talk about all those chicks .

Tammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by