Watery, Frothy poop... Is there anything going on??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1ChickenKeeper, Oct 4, 2015.

1. 1ChickenKeeper

1ChickenKeeper Out Of The Brooder

Hi all.

I noticed that 2 or 3 of my hens' poop is watery and kind of frothy.
    I'm wondering if I should be worried, and it's health problem, if so, what could be wrong wit them, and what's should I do to help stop it..?

Thank you!

2. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Is it possible to post a pic or two of the droppings? I know it's gross but it can be useful in determining the cause. They may have worms or coccidiosis.

3. 1ChickenKeeper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We just started the three pullets with layer feed, so could it be that, or could it be an internal illness ?

4. Baby Chick Farm

Baby Chick Farm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    @1ChickenKeeper,

How often did you find them? Chickens normally produce rather dry of a manure, but normally, once in a while, gets rid of fermented waste they keep in their bodies. This looks like the kind of manure I'm talking about! Just a suggestion!

5. 1ChickenKeeper

Hmm... I noticed them a few days ago, and they've been doing it since..

6. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    It looks like cecal poop to me. I'm not an expert though. Are all the droppings like this or is it just every once in a while?

7. 1ChickenKeeper

Only 1 grown hen and 2 pullets are having this problem, and it's usually, quite honestly, for the grown hen, only every once in a while, but the two pullets.. Almost every dropping is like this, but every once in a while, some droppings are normal.

I hope its easy to follow through with, it is kind of hard to describe and explain.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Yes, that makes sense. I'm thinking it has to do with the change of feed.

9. 1ChickenKeeper

Alright. I thought so as well too. I may have given it to them too fast, and they're still getting used to it.
    If it is the feed, than I believe the runny poop will only be temporary for a while, am I correct?

Thank you so much for the help.

10. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Sorry for the delay. My phone is not letting me attach info. so I had to do it the old fashioned way.

[​IMG]

I would think that it'd resolve itself but I have not experienced this problem. I wish I could be of more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by