1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watery greenish stringy poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarPil, Aug 22, 2013.

1. SarPil

SarPil Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    My hen has watery greenish stringy poop half was solid and half watery. Some was also milky watery. She is not acting normal will eat and drink but is keeping her distance from the group. She was fine until yesterday it was also very hot yesterday

2. Chickery Chick

Chickery Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Is she bloated in the rear and bottom area. How old is she?

3. SarPil

Aug 22, 2013
    Not sure of her exact age but 30 some weeks she started laying about a month or so ago. I have her isolated I just check on her and since this morning she has only had a very small drooping it looks somewhat normal in colour but small and shaped like pilets but she was eating them this morning I think there maybe small amounts of blood. I thought that this morning but wasn't sure if it was blood our something I feed her. But there is a very small amount of red again so I am sure now that is what it must be

4. SarPil

Aug 22, 2013
    There is still a lot of food an water in the pen and the amount of dropping she is eating but not a lot

5. Chickery Chick

Jul 27, 2013
    1st thing I would do is get Apple Vinegar Cider 1 tablespoon per gallon. Start today! ASAP.
    You need to determine if the blood is from poop or possible egg broken stuck in her.
    With what little info to go on, at this point I'm going to guess cocci
    Here is a link that may help.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/797823/pooping-blood

6. SarPil

Aug 22, 2013
    I was thinking cocci or worms? Maybe?she has had some more normal poop since my last post I have given her tetracycline. No more blood that I can see

7. SarPil

Aug 22, 2013
    Just cleaned the coop and my rooster has watery poop as well he is eating acting normal. But his is black and watery and his butt is getting a little messy. I out apple cider vinegar in the water

8. SarPil

Aug 22, 2013
    I have small children and dogs should I be concerned for their health my birds are free ranged

9. Chickery Chick

Jul 27, 2013
    Apple Vinegar Cider has high claims for health benefits but maybe more hype that it really is.
    Not sure on this as I've never used it. Just what I read here.
    It is an old time remedy used for many years.
    Here is more on cocci
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233115/chick-pooping-blood

No need to worry about dog or humans getting cocci. It is breed specific.

Coccidia are host specific. This means many types of animals are infected with coccidia, but the parasite infecting one species can not serve to infect another. For example, the species of coccidia that produces diarrhea in dogs will not infect cattle. The coccidia which infect chickens will not infect sheep etc.

While there are species of coccidia that can infect people (Toxoplasma and Cryptosporidium, for example), the Isospora species of dogs and cats are not infective to people. Other pets of the same species may become infected from exposure to infected fecal matter but it is important to note that this is usually an infection of the young (i.e. the immature immune system tends to let the coccidia infection reach large numbers whereas the mature immune system probably will not.)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your chicken has been having blood in the droppings, you need to treat for coccidiosis with Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Add no vitamins , ACV, or anything else but Corid to the water. After treatment, resume ACV, give vitamins, yogurt or probiotics to help the intestinal bacteria get back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by