Watery plum sized crop silkie broodie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarlaKaye, Nov 1, 2009.

1. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    My silkie house pet hen has a crop that is large, (prune sized) and watery.
    She is sitting on eggs, starting week three, she has had the distended crop entire time, but it is getting larger.
    She eats and drinks well with encouragement. It is difficult to get her on her feet. I pick her up 2 or 3 times a day and have her eat, while I keep her eggs warm in basket.
    When I do this her legs just collapse, and she will eat the food if it is right under her beak.
    I hold her up about 3 in off the floor so she will flap her wings, it seems to get her circulation going, and after that she will move around a bit, ...right back to her basket nest of course.

Is it common for silkies to have a swollen crop when they are broody? I read one other post , someone had a silkie with large swollen crop.

2. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I don't think a super-large squishy crop is a good thing on any bird, and I don't see why being broody would be an exception - her crop may be going "sour". Put some Apple Cider Vinegar in her drinking water, 2 Tablespoons per gallon, and see if that helps. The acid can help reduce any fungal overgrowth she may be getting.

3. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    thanks. we took her to the vet, don't know what that will cost us, he didn't even know if it was her crop. Will do the vinegar.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by