Watery Poo Related to Heat/Temperature?

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello Everyone!

I have 2 black sex linked chicks that are roughly about 2wks old, and they seem pretty healthy! Except that they keep having watery, hazle brown stool. They've been on Albon (an anti diarrheal/wormer) for about 2 weeks and I was getting super confused because they seemed to be having mostly firm/normal droppings, but I also noticed that they would excrete super liquidy/sticky stool randomly throughout the day or night.

Earlier today, the brooder reached 97°F and they were panting a bit so I pulled them out and let them cool off on my lap. They decided that I was the perfect inspiration and let loose their little bowls upon me... it was the liquidy stool again. I cleaned everything up and about 15-20min later, I was still holding them when they pooped again, this time solid!

Long story short, does heat/temperature affect the chicks' stool consistency? I understand that extreme temperature changes/stress can cause pasty butt, but luckily mine are all clean and happy, chirpy babies.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes, heat affects chick poop. Big time. And anything over 80F at two weeks is much too warm. If you have the chicks in one of those plastic totes, empty it out, wash it well, and use it to store old clothes in. It's useless and even dangerous as a brooder.

Are these two chicks your only chickens? If you have a coop and run all ready for occupancy, they are old enough to go live outside.

What is your location so we can understand your climate and weather?

Yes, heat affects chick poop. Big time. And anything over 80F at two weeks is much too warm. If you have the chicks in one of those plastic totes, empty it out, wash it well, and use it to store old clothes in. It's useless and even dangerous as a brooder.

Are these two chicks your only chickens? If you have a coop and run all ready for occupancy, they are old enough to go live outside.

Ah, ok. Thank you!

I'm in Los Angeles, SoCal area. Nighttime temperature is 42°F and the daytime high is 68°F. They're barely 4wks at this point. I'm scared to leave them outside as we do have rats and they are more than small enough to be eaten by one. Yes, I only have the 2, they were from a rescue batch of 5... these 2 are the only survivors.
20220308_133554.jpg

Are there certain temperatures which affects a chicken's poop consistency? Like I saw an image with a watery poo with a temperature of 90°F

It's water consumption that directly affects poop consistency. Water is a mechanism by which excess body heat is flushed out, no matter the age of the chicken. The hotter it is, the thirstier chickens get, the more water they drink, so the water content of their poop will be higher.

Back
Top Bottom