Watery poo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Lass, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Chicken Lass

Chicken Lass Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    My 5 week old Blue Andalusion chick has had watery droppings since I first got her at three days old. She acts completely normal and is very active with the others. Is this anything to be concerned about? Could it possibly be normal? Maybe I only see her when she's pooping the watery stuff. All of the chicks that I ordered are very healthy and happy - and have been so since I got them. Thanks anyone!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try looking at these pics of poo. http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

You'll
    be surprised at how many different types of chicken poop there are! Recently I had a three year old hen with very runny poop. Runny poop is normal after they eat something such as melon or squash, but I knew my hen was in trouble when her poop turned jello- green, she became listless, and kept her tail down.

Eventually she became so weak, she couldn't stand. It progressed very quickly from listless and tail down to near death. Luckily I gambled that starting her on antibiotics would help save her. But it was two weeks of touch and go to save her.

If your chick has runny poop, but is otherwise normal and active, you may not have anything to worry about. A sick chicken is pretty obvious about it.

3. Chicken Lass

Chicken Lass Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks so much!

4. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Does she eat bugs? My babies have much bulkier poos when I let them outside to eat bugs.

5. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:Thanks so much for posting that link. I have been freaking out cuz several of my hens have watery poo. Some are sneezing too, but they all seem active and normal and although several are molting they are still laying. It's been like this at least since July. I have pretty much ruled out most of the obvious diseases cuz there have been no other symptoms (mucus, bubbles in eyes, lethargy, etc.) and I don't have the money for vets or unnecessary antibiotics. They seem perfectly normal...other than panting from our extreme heat. That, according to the poo gallery, is what ails my girls, too much HEAT! Whew! I will still give ACV and garlic (and vitamins) in their water and yogurt for treats to help keep them strong.

Again, thanks for the link!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by