Watery Poop/Diarrhea Abound; How to Treat?? (9 Week Old Pullets)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledegg728, Nov 9, 2016.

1. speckledegg728

speckledegg728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Rural Ohio.
    Hey all,

Lately, my six pullets have all seem to had a problem with very watery poop and or diarrhea. I mention both because I have seen puddles of brown poop with very little mass--very smelly--AND straight liquid poop that seems to come with an excess of water and (so sorry if this is too much detail) a terrible squirting sound. All of their vents are perfectly dry--I check them all every day. They all eat normally. Everyone's behaving like their normal cheerful selves and their weights have not decreased. All six are still getting bigger, not acting weak, etc.

As for treats, they get rolled oats with some dried mealworms mixed in, a quarter cup about twice a day. We've tried to feed them some kitchen scraps, but they don't seem too interested yet.

I've been reading up online on home remedies for cures to watery poop/diarrhea but am not sure what I should give to pullets of their age. Everything I've seen listed is for full-grown hens. Any suggestions for these poopy girls? I would love to hear them.

Thank you in advance. :)

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I haven't tried it, but someone on this forum recently recommended a tiny, one time dab of molasses for each chick affected.

Are you sure this isn't just normal cecal poop? Out of every four or five regular urate poops, which are brown and firm and odorless, you get a cecal which are like dark chocolate pudding and stink with a rancid and stomach heaving stench that makes you question your love and devotion to your chickens.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you get a pic of poops?

What are you feeding other than the treats?
    Anything in the water...or just plain water?
    Did it just start?
    Any changes in bedding, housing, location, etc?

No TMI here about poops....important diagnostic topic.
    Have heard that squirting sound, but only on very young chicks of a couple weeks old.

Good visual references for all kinds of poops,
    just don't jump to any terrible conclusions too quickly:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by