watery poop in chick 3 wks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lacontenta, Mar 14, 2008.

1. lacontenta

lacontenta Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    So I have a strange & probably naive question...do chickens pee?? or do they just poop?

my little Lucy (the runt with the eye problem that has gotten better with flushing with saline, giving polivisol, & terramycin in the water)

well, she eats, drinks & is active...even getting right in there to eat with the chicks 3 times her size...anyway, I haven't seen her poop the last 2 days....just watery clear liquid out??? I'm puzzled. I see her eat. My husband is a dairy farmer & he said she might be getting dehydrated?? so I have alternated the water...morning electrolytes added to the water & afternoon antibiotic added to the water (never putting both in the same water). So...what's wrong with my chick? Her eye has stayed open the last day and 1/2, & I have seen no tiny bubbles in her eye, so what's going on now??

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    In birds the white part of the stool is the urine-I'm not sure chickens are the same, but I think so. Did you change the diet?

3. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Just a guess - the antibiotics may have killed off the normal gut flora and caused diarrhea. I would try a little plain yogurt. I always give yogurt to myself and any other critters when an antiobiotic is used for treatment.

4. lacontenta

lacontenta Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    thanks for the yogurt idea...I had thought of that, but wasn't sure...

I hadn't changed the chick's diet....just medicated crumbles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by