Watery Poop & Lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KiwiChook, Nov 2, 2007.

1. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    One of my chickens has not been feeling so well the last few days, I've noticed she's has runny poop for over a week now and sometimes climbs into the nest box during the day for a snooze (which is very unlike her). My two chickens normally race around the yard together but lately she's had trouble keeping up. She hasn't laid for a few days either. I haven't noticed any blood in her poo but was wondering if it could still be cocci? We've had a lot of rain lately and their coop did get flooded a while back. She's still eating grass and comes running when I throw scraps out. About 2 weeks ago, her poo was very smelly and a clay brown colour. Her diet consists of cooked rice, mixed food scraps, dog roll as a treat, laying pellets and anything else she finds in the garden.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    cocci usually occurs with younger birds... get a faecal if you have not wormed recently

3. KiwiChook

Aug 22, 2007
    She's not a young bird. maybe not cocci.
    She is running around a bit better now. Her poop is still runny and dark green. She hasn't laid any egg for 5 days now. She seems to be eating okay. I've wormed her maybe 3 months ago. I didn't notice any worms in her business. I will give her a few more day and see if she improves. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    I would separate her and give her a very simple diet, easily digested mash, lots of fresh water with a vitamin boost. I noticed this exact behavior with one of my chickens recently and thought that she would bounce back on her own. Next thing I noticed was her crop was getting enlarged. Then I noticed the same thing starting to happen with another chicken. I caught her right in the beginning and was able to resolve the issue. For us the problem was the cat food..... It's really not for chickens. Since we have stopped the cat food, no more crop problems.

5. KiwiChook

Aug 22, 2007
    I'll try cutting out the dog food for a while and see if that helps.

6. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    If she hasnt laid an egg in 5 days, could she possibly be eggbound? Thats another consideration.
    Hope she is better soon.
    Jill

7. KiwiChook

Aug 22, 2007
    Would it be obvious if she's egg bound? I picked her up last night and noticed a few lice zooming around... i guess because she's been run down they've reared up! [​IMG] I gave both birds a good dusting with the DE and didn't notice any bound egg..

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    What did you worm your bird with? I agree with Redwas suggestion... many things can affect the reproductive tract (if eggbound you would see her REALLY ill with tail bobbing and straining)

9. KiwiChook

Aug 22, 2007
    I don't think she's egg bound. She seems to be running around better now. She hasn't laid for a week. She normally lays every day. I wormed her with Ivomec 1% and a repeat shot 10 days later, that was about 3 months ago.

10. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    KiwiChook - How is your girl doing? Has the problem been resolved? Please let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by