Watery poop, now one hen not getting off roost in A.M.

1dog1cat6chicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Southwestern PA
For the past week or so, I've noticed a lot of very watery poop in the coop. We have a "poop hammock" (tarp under the roost bars to catch the poop) and I clean it off every day, and hose it down AT LEAST weekly.

This morning three of the hens went right outside as usual, but one is still on the roost. She's a little bit fluffed up (and it's very mild here today, not cold at all), and even has her eyes shut. AND the streak of watery poop is right beneath her.

As I stated above, I clean the poop daily, and also scoop what I can from the floor of the coop, so it's kept pretty clean. This hen is not very old, probably only a bit over 1.5 years old. She is still laying pretty regularly, a little less than normal but they've all had a bit of a molt recently.

Any thoughts as to what's going on here?

Yesterday she got two pills and this morning she was off the roost when I went to open their door, and she went outside. She’s moving slowly, but she’s already better than yesterday! I was able to get the pill into her this morning too. Hopefully this will do the trick!! 🤞

So she’s been done with her five days of fish mox for awhile; she’s acting more herself but still having very watery poop. Is this normal? Also today I saw her have a pretty normal poop but it was greenish.
Thoughts?

That's good news that she's acting more herself.
It would be best to get some probiotics in her.
You can give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat, you can mix it in her feed if you wish. The rice will settle her innards and the buttermilk will coat her digestive tract and is more easily absorbed than yogurt. Buttermilk is also a much better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end.
The rice and buttermilk should help slow or stop the watery diarrhea. Give it to her for 2-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom