Watery poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eikome, Jun 25, 2019.

1. eikome

eikome Hatching

Apr 26, 2018
    Hi there. Newbie chicken owner in need of some help. Hens are now 1 year old. I have a hen who has had liquid poop for a long time (since they were young pullets). She used to sneeze a lot too, but I treated her with some vet Rx and now she only occasionally sneezes from what I assumed is dust and such. She lays regularly, but the egg is odd. Very small, lumpy shape, rough shell. Not like the other hens eggs at all. Otherwise she seems to be happy healthy hen. Eats and drinks normally. Comb with plenty of color. Comes running to be let out every morning. Does normal chicken stuff. I thought she was just weird, I didn't realize she could be sick.

But now one of my other hens has developed liquid poop too. Again, no other symptoms. Their vents are not messy. It just shoots right out like a water gun and doesn't touch their feathers. There is no body to it at all. Sometimes greenish in color, sometimes light brownish.

What might be causing the liquid poop? Worms? There aren't any chicken vets nearby that I can take them to.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    Hi! I just have some questions for you - hopefully that will help the more experienced folks to help you! :)

Can you post pics of the poo and the weird egg?

What is their diet?

Where, in general, are you located? (matters in terms of climate/likely diseases. Here's how you can put it in your profile: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-it-shows-under-avatar.1273315/#post-20471498 )

Also, check with nearby vets to see if they'd run a fecal test for you - often times non-chicken vets can still do that test.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the poop, the hens and the eggs?
    What do you feed your hens?

If possible, collect a sample of poop and take it to your vet for testing of worms.

Is the one that has now started liquid poop, the same age or is she a new addition to your flock?

Certain respiratory diseases like Infectious Bronchitis can cause sneezing. Long term effects would be on the reproductive system. Hens that have had IB can lay odd wrinkly eggs - that may be what you are seeing, but without photos it's hard to know.

4. eikome

eikome Hatching

Apr 26, 2018
    Okay, I think I posted pictures. The original hen with watery poop is the speckled Sussex. I added a photo of her last three eggs next to my barred rock's normal brown egg. The other just recently having watery poops is an Easter egger. She's just gone through a molt and the feathers on her head are growing in odd now. They eat Naturewise Hearty Hen pellets. I'm in upstate NY.

Good idea to check with the vet about a fecal test. I'm sure I can find one to do that.

Attached Files:

5. eikome

eikome Hatching

Apr 26, 2018
    I just posted some photos. They eat Naturewise Hearty Hen pellets. The newly sick hen isn't a new addition. I got all of them as day old mail order chicks at the same time, so they've been together forever.

The Speckled Sussex eggs aren't wrinkley exactly, they're lumpy (not symmetrical like the other hens) and very small. They also are really varied in color from day to day. Some days darker peach, others almost white.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Try to get a fecal sample tested to see about worms.
    She's just now coming back into lay from molting? Sometimes eggs can be a little odd if a hen is coming back into lay. Color is applied in the shell gland, so she may have something going on there too - not much you can do about the color.

7. eikome

eikome Hatching

Apr 26, 2018
    Thanks, yeah I'm going to try to get a vet to do a fecal test for worms.

They are all doing a long slow molt it seems like. They never stopped laying, just became more infrequent. Only the one sickish Speckled Sussex has weird eggs, and they've always been that way. I thought it could be from some perpetual illness. I don't mind the odd egg colors or shapes, I just want to make sure she's healthy. If she's just a weirdo, that's fine too :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: