Watery sounding cough...

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
Sooo one of my BJG pullets this week has been occaisonally making a watery cough sound. She doesn't do it alot, and seems to only do it in the coop. It has gotten cold now, and my coop has river sand on the bottom with good ventilation right below the eaves of the roof. She otherwise looks and acts healthy and normal. Is this something to be concerned about?? What would even cause it??

Last edited:
Hi! Jumping in this thread as well, because this exact question is why I joined BYC to ask. Plenty of ventilation, coop has regularly-changed straw, chicken is acting completely normal except for wet gurgly breathing when even a little bit stressed. I assume just a cold? I've pulled her for quarantine just in case, where she's been for the last week. Poor gal misses being with the other chooks.

Have you checked the crop to see if she is getting some crop contents coming back up into her throat? A puffy large crop might indicate a crop problem, especially if it is full and puffy in the morning before eating. A rattly cough might indicate a respiratory disease (virus or bacterial) especially if you see head shaking, nasal drainage, bubbles or drainage in an eye, or facial swelling. Chickens do not get colds, but respiratory diseases can make them carriers. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, coryza, and ILT are some of the common ones that you can read about here:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Gurgling breathing is usually a sign of respiratory disease.
A video might help.
Removing a bird from flock is usually pointless as they the whole flock is already exposed and the stress of being isolated can make symptoms worse.

No discharge, puffiness or any other symptom. I've not seen any puffy crop but I'll give her a go-over again tonight. None of the others in her flock have made such a sound, but I will continue to monitor accordingly. And, after those two days I have not heard it since.

I have a few wheezers/gurglers...they other wise seem pretty healthy.
Am not one for indiscriminate AB's and no way I could afford a vet or lab testing.

Back
Top Bottom