watery white poo picture..3 year old polish Hen lethargic,droopy wings

Use this Rancher; Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Administer it orally undiluted to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Give it to them 5 days in a row and that's it.

Well as a newbee I sure have learned a lot. I've also become very confused. Does anyone know why there isn't a dewormer made specific for poultry with information specific for the worms/parasites it kills. It certainly seems like I could make a killing with a new product!

There really isn't a large backyard chicken market that would justify all the research and money it takes to get new medication approved for use. Commercial chicken farmers don't need dewormers since their animals (generally) never touch the ground.

Well as a newbee I sure have learned a lot. I've also become very confused. Does anyone know why there isn't a dewormer made specific for poultry with information specific for the worms/parasites it kills. It certainly seems like I could make a killing with a new product!
As a newbie I can see how it can be confusing, it was for me. which is why I started researching the proper amounts to give poultry. The information needed is out there. I promise you that the amount you are giving is the correct amount for a your sized hen. Any less and you might not treat capillary worms effectively. Not saying your hen has capillary worms, but with the 0.5ml you are giving for five days you can almost certainly rule them out.

The amount you are giving is 50mg/kg (0.23ml per pound), which is what many veterinary books, vets and studies say to give.

From a Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook:

Based on 50mg/kg I would give no less than the following:

Small Bantam hens(OEGB, Japanese, Serama, etc.) - 0.25 ml

Large Bantam hens (Cochin, Silkie, etc) - 0.5 ml
Small laying hens (leghorn size) - 1 ml
Medium laying hens (RIR, Barred Rock, etc) - 1.5 ml
Large laying hens (Jersey Giant, Giant White, Cochin, etc.) - 2.25 ml

Large broad breasted turkey hen - 7 ml
Royal Palm turkey hen - 2.75 ml

Peafowl amounts:
Large Adult Male 3 ml
Small Adult Male 2 ml
Large Adult Female 2 ml
Small Adult Female 1.5 ml
Large 3 month old chick 1 ml
Medium 3 month old chick 0.8 ml
Small 3 month old chick 0.7 ml

-Kathy

Last edited:
There really isn't a large backyard chicken market that would justify all the research and money it takes to get new medication approved for use. Commercial chicken farmers don't need dewormers since their animals (generally) never touch the ground.
The wormers they use are used "off label" under the supervision of a veterinarian. Valbazen and Safeguard both fall into this category.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

This study doesn't mention capillary worms, but some of you still might find it interesting.

Ascaridia galli = roundworm
Heterakis gallinarum = cecal worm
Railletina spp. = Tapeworm

Using 10% Safeguard 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days = 0.07 ml to 0.09 ml per pound for 3 consecutive days.

Quote:
Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

Polish is not eating much or drinking much. She stand there hovering over her food and pecks at it from time to time. Here is a pic of her poo after two days on safe guard.

Last edited:
No I am not using the clavamox yet. I was just going to ask if it would be too much on her system to worm and use antibiotics at the sametime. I have the pill form 375mg clavamox. The other question I had: If a chicken has these worms in her crop (a large amount) and they die in there, how are they expelled or are they somehow consumed and ingested. I ask because this morning she had a wee bit of salavia drool and thought she might be having some reaction.

Back
Top Bottom