Watery white poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GRB73, Nov 10, 2016.

1. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    My ameracauna is 9 months old. About 2 weeks ago she stopped laying eggs. Then i noticed small feathers in the run and under her roost. Yesterday she made a very white liquidy poo. Twice again this morning. Otherwise she is fine. She is eating, drinking and very perky. At first i thought she was going through a mini molt but the poo concerns me. These are my first chickens and I'm nervous about overlooking something serious.

Some new things that may be affecting her: daylight savings ended so she can't roam in the late afternoon like she is used to and wild temperature swings with our weather. Also, i gave the girls a head of cabbage to play with and they ate nearly the entire head over 2 days!

Thoughts from more experience chicken keepers? Should i treat her with probiotics or something else? Give her certain food to try to firm up the poo?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You answered your own question.......The Cabbage caused the runny poop.....Treats should only be at 5%.......1 Tablespoon per bird a day......Mine only get treats once a week if that?

Cheers!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Can you post some picture of her and her poop?

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Sure can. Probably won't be until tomorrow morning. I'm at work now and it will be dark by the time i get home.

Thank you!

6. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Here is a picture of my hen and her poo. She is also drinking alot of water.[​IMG][/IMG]

7. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Not normal, and there is very little fecal material in it. Any chance you could take her to a vet? If not, you could try treating her with Corid for coccidiosis.

If she were mine I would put her in a crate so I could see all of the poop she produced in a 24 hour period.

-Kathy

9. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    She is losing feathers too.Her most recent poo had a little more solid in it.
    Should i treat all the chickens for coccidea? Is it bad for them if they dont have it?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    With something like Corid it's fine to treat all.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by