watery yolk-white mixture in egg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizzychick, Feb 13, 2015.

1. lizzychick

lizzychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    My 2 year old white leghorn just came off a nice break after molting and winter vacation.she has laid 4 eggs over the last two weeks. One had no shell. The other three had weaker then normal shells and were coated with a light egg yolk/white wash on the outside. Inside, the eggs are completely watery yolk- white mix. Looks disgusting. My hen is acting fine, eating fine, active. Is this just from coming off a break, or is it something serious? Your advise is very much appreciated.

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    What is in her normal diet? Do you offer oyster shell on the side? Any treats you normally feed besides her regular feed?

3. lizzychick

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs

Thank you for your reply, this has me worried...

My girls are fed layer feed crumbles, oyster shell and grit free of choice, scratch as a bedtime snack and oat sprout/fodder for breakfast. The sprouts are a fairly new addition to their diet, but this weird egg business is new because she hasn't laid since October.

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It could be her system working out the glitches from a long dry spell. Do you ever deworm them? How was the shell with the watery egg?

5. lizzychick

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    She was dewormed in the fall. All the eggs she has laid this week had weak or no shells. It doesn't look like they have been eating the oyster or grit. Should I add it to their feed? Also it seems sheis laying them while she is perched for the night. All but one was under the perch. Today's was thin shelled under the perch, but looked like the yolk was separate from the white. It did break open but was frozen. I'm thinking just a weird kickstart to the laying season. Maybe her system isn't in sync yet.

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would leave the grit and oyster shell separate. You could crush a calcium pill and feed it to her with a little bread if you think she's bot getting enough. I would only do it once as to not overdo it. And depending where you're from it could just be where her body is at seasonally. I'd give her a few more days I don't think it should go much beyond that.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What did you use when you wormed her?

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Do you have other hens that are laying normal eggs? It helps to know if it is an individual hen problem or a flock problem.

The part that concerns me the most is the whites and yolks being mixed. The other stuff could just be a glitch but that bothers me. I’m sorry but the only thing I can think of is that she may have picked up a disease that affects her egg laying. I think you need professional help. I’m just an amateur.

If it were me, I’d call the county extension agent (in the phone book under county government or you can find the number online) and talk to the agent. The agent won’t know but they should put you in touch with someone who does know, probably someone at your Illinois Land Grant University, whichever one that is. That’s exactly what my agent has done when I have specific chicken disease questions. I know they are not open until tomorrow. If you can I’d try to isolate that hen but in reality if she has something it is probably too late to protect the others.

I hope I’m wrong but I think it is best to know. If she were a lot older I’d think it might just be old age, but not at 2 years old.

I sure wish you luck on this and really hope I am wrong.

9. lizzychick

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    ......And another thinner shelled egg under the roost, dropped at night. The yolk was not mixed with the white this time. She is the only one having this issue, and I used wazine (I think that's the name of it.) when I dewormed them. The thin shelled dropped at night seems to be the ongoing issue. The really mixed watery one was a one off. She is still acting fine in every other respect. Silly girl, stressing me out. I am so thankful for your replies, not only for guidance but for compassion in my concerns. You guys rock!

10. lizzychick

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    [​IMG]

This is my trouble maker...Sugar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by