1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Wattles on six week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaurellO, Sep 25, 2009.

1. LaurellO

LaurellO In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Te Awamutu NZ
    I am trying to sex my six week olds and would I be right in thinking any with obvious wattles would be roosters. I have Blue and Black Orpingtons, Silver and Gold laced Wyandottes and Barnevelders. I do not want to send any off to my Indian friend if they are not guaranteed to be roosters.

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I don't know what others will say about this, but I'd wait yet. I couldn't tell much of a difference until about 12 weeks or so. If your friend is planning on eating them then it toesn't matter much as you can't eat them until they are about 16-20 weeks anyway as they aren't big enough.

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Let's see some pictures - maybe we can help!

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    i would like to see pictures too....comparisons between the ones with and without wattles.

however, i can say that with my pullet bo's, there were no noticeable wattles at six weeks---none at all really. so i would definitely be suspicious too.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I would wait....My Wyandottes were differently developed as far as combs/wattles go....same size in body but at the same age one had good size wattles around 7-8 weeks and the other almost nothing. Same with comb....And they are all girls. [​IMG]

6. LaurellO

LaurellO In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Te Awamutu NZ
    Thanks for the replies. I am not too sure how to put up photos I have only just worked out how to put photo on profile. I will work on it. [​IMG]

7. LaurellO

LaurellO In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Te Awamutu NZ
    [​IMG] rooster? and [​IMG] hen?

8. LaurellO

LaurellO In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Te Awamutu NZ
    wow I managed to get photos up:)

9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster