Wattles on six week old chicks

LaurellO

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Te Awamutu NZ
I am trying to sex my six week olds and would I be right in thinking any with obvious wattles would be roosters. I have Blue and Black Orpingtons, Silver and Gold laced Wyandottes and Barnevelders. I do not want to send any off to my Indian friend if they are not guaranteed to be roosters.

I don't know what others will say about this, but I'd wait yet. I couldn't tell much of a difference until about 12 weeks or so. If your friend is planning on eating them then it toesn't matter much as you can't eat them until they are about 16-20 weeks anyway as they aren't big enough.

i would like to see pictures too....comparisons between the ones with and without wattles.

however, i can say that with my pullet bo's, there were no noticeable wattles at six weeks---none at all really. so i would definitely be suspicious too.

I would wait....My Wyandottes were differently developed as far as combs/wattles go....same size in body but at the same age one had good size wattles around 7-8 weeks and the other almost nothing. Same with comb....And they are all girls.
smile.png

Thanks for the replies. I am not too sure how to put up photos I have only just worked out how to put photo on profile. I will work on it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom