Waving from western Ireland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BetsyCornwell, Feb 20, 2014.

1. BetsyCornwell

BetsyCornwell New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Galway, Ireland
    Hello! I'm an American newly married and moved to County Galway, Ireland. I live deep, deep in the countryside, on the edge of what they call mountains here (hills in the US), and a proud new owner of two Rhode Island Red/Leghorn hybrid hens (and two dairy goats!).
    [​IMG]

The hens are named Flora and Elphine (from Cold Comfort Farm) and the goats are Nanny and Ninny.
    [​IMG]

I've only been married a few months, and I adore my husband and Ireland, but I'm still getting used to living in a new place, and it's kind of isolated here in the country sometimes! I hope I'll get to make some good friends on BYC.
    Oh, and my name is Betsy. I'm a writer, when I'm not collecting eggs.
    [​IMG]

Edited by Staff

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] from Illinois and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Effielin

Effielin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    Hi from Texas. I LOVE Ireland, I usually go for a week every year in September but not sure if I will this year. Must be quite an adjustment though to be living there permantly. What kind of writing do you do?

1 person likes this.
  7. BetsyCornwell

BetsyCornwell New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Galway, Ireland
    I first came to Ireland in September, and it might be the most beautiful time of year here. Where do you like to go in the country? (I still haven't been to the North!)
    I write novels for the most part, though I am trying to write more articles and nonfiction.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  8. Effielin

Effielin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    Every year for the last five years I have met up with friends I met through the internet who have greyhounds like I do. My friends come from England and Wales and we meet up in Dublin, so mostly I have been around the Dublin area and to a few of the villages on the coast. We go to this big greyhound race they have in September, explore, talk girl talk, eat, drink tea, etc etc. We always have a great time.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Betsy, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

I got to visit Ireland back in 1992 for 5 days and I believe if I wasn't on
    the move I had a pint in me fist ,,,,,,,, Ya great place [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the Family [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. honeybeechick

honeybeechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome ! I am brand new too! I live in Virginia. You will be a celebrity being from Ireland. I have been to Galway twice and love it! I got lost on the narrow town roads though looking for a music shop. What breeds of chickens do you hope to have?
    I still need a coop and a carpenter to build one for me as I can't afford the prefab coops. I love this forum! Welcome again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by