Wavy or curled neck feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EweSheep, Aug 2, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I noticed my Blue Amercuana bantam hen this year has some neck feathers that is waved away from her neck or wind blown away from her neck. Now one of my Welsummer girls got a few neck feathers that is going thru that too. She already went thru a molt earlier this year and looking pretty "runned over" by other chicken's playing. Checked for lice and mites, and found none and DE is pretty much all over the coop and run as well as Stall Dry.

I have been feeding them layer feed 18% and once in a while they get the chick starter feed which is 21-23% protein. They get table scraps (mostly rice, fruits, veggies and bread heels) once a day. Two handfuls of creeping charlie (or chickweed) and clover as well for greens. They get oyster shells and grits in front of them at all times. They are still laying at this point.

Is there a vitamin defiency in their diet? Whats going on?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Robin, did you worm them with Safeguard/fenbendazole while they were molting? There is a warning on the label that mentions that it can deform feathers if given during a molt. However, I'm not sure how exactly they mean this.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No worming done yet. I will be worming them with all natural wormer that you find it in McMurray catalog...the one with flaxseed in them.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, then I really dont know what's with the feathers coming in like that. The wormer was the only thing I could think of.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As far as I know or can remember, they were straight last winter and when she went thru a molt, her feathers curled.

I am just like you, just stumped what could have been the cause.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Our Araucana hen has the feathers on her neck that swoop up and over the back of her head...kinda like a comb-over!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

8. ipanda

ipanda New Egg

May 26, 2016
    This thread is old but I did a similar search and wanted to just post a photo of our Araucana hen with curling neck feathers. She seems fine so wondering if it is just a trait?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by