wax help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bluep, Nov 25, 2011.

1. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
  2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Parafin has been used for plucking ducks for many decades, mainly for hunters but has become more mainstream nowadays because some folks struggle with the simple task of scalding. Parafin is a little hard to work with and will take some prior planning and preperation and IMO is quite a bit messier than the traditional scadling method. But it is still an effective plucking method albeit a little more exspensive, good luck to you.

3. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    thanks for reply i tried scalding but i could not get most of the pin feathers out

4. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    i just wondering will any paraffin wax do

5. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    I just processed my first duck yesterday and tried to hand pluck. I dry plucked first, and was very excited to see how many feathers came out. Then I alternated scalding with some dish soap and hand-plucking, I did this twice. I was able to get the breast pretty clean of feathers and did a good job on the wings. The back was another story. It was hopeless. I think sometimes with all poultry, you can get one that's growing new feathers and it's a mess. This was the case with ours. I'm using duck wax next time, absolutely. I have a friend who is a duck processing queen and she swears by duck wax. I know there's preparation time with it, but to me, it'll be worth is. I have a 16 month old son who's into everything, and it'll be easier for me to breakaway with what I'm doing if I'm not covered in wet feathers, LOL. Good luck!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It might not work as well as the wax blended for the job, but if it is all you can get, then it will do the job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by