Waxworms?

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
I just stopped at the feedstore to buy my 7 week old chicks some more mealworms. I was thinking of buying them some regular garden worms while I was there but when I opened the package and looked at them they seemed so big for my young chicks.

Instead I got waxworms. Are they ok to feed to chicks? I got the mealworms too and I will give them a few of those today but I will wait to see what the consensus is on the waxworms. They just seemed like the right in between size for the chicks.

I gave waxworms to my chicks when they were 3 weeks old and they loved them. No ill effects in my experience.
Throw a few in with your chicks and watch them get discovered. When I first did this it became a feeding frenzy.

I se no reason not to use the wax worms.
Also, your 7 week olds would have no problem eating the garden worms. Look at it this way. How big are your 7 week olds compared to say..a robin ?
A common robin can down a large nightcrawler with ease. So could/would yer 7 week olds. Even if yer chicks don't eat 'em whole..believe me, God gave them the know how to "adjust" them into bite sized pieces.

Thanks for the replies! I never thought about the fact that a robin can manage a worm so easily.

Next time I go I will have to get them some worms too
smile.png

It was so funny. The guy at the feed store couldn't beleive a woman was picking through worms. I guess he sees more women that cringe at the site of them.
gig.gif

I'm not sure this is even true, but when I worked at PetCo, the manager told me to cut off the heads of the wax worms before feeding them to the reptiles because they are supposedly excellent chewers, and if they are alive for a bit he said they can do internal damage. I know. It sounds like an Urban Legend, but I pass it on just the same... silly right? Or not...?

-Brooke

I did hear that once somewhere. I had a bearded dragon for about 8 or 9 years that ate wax worms and he never had a problem with them. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has heard this before though.

Back
Top Bottom