way early molt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GardenWeasel, Dec 7, 2009.

1. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    Was checking all the girls while free ranging yesterday and I thought one hen had stuck her head in a bucket of water cause her feathers on neck and head looked odd and mis-shaped. Let them out again today and she still looked strange. So chased her down and picked her up and feathers were missing, Didn't see any bugs, just porquipine looking quills. These girls are 8 mos. old, could she be molting already.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She could be going thru what I call a mini-molt. I had some do that in the 7 to 9 month range. It wasn't as severe as a full blown molt.
    Does she have little tuffs of fluff sticking out between her body feathers?

3. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    No tiny feathers that I could see. She is one that is under developed as far as comb and wattles. Haven't seen her picked on, but she is not high on the get the treats first list. What is a mini molt? She is a black sex link. All I see are quills. I will look again today if I can catch her again.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    All those little porcupine quills are her new feathers coming in. Sounds like a mini molt to me, too. That can happen at any time, at any age. Full blown molts happen when they're a bit older. Keep her dry and out of the wind. She may be a bit chilly until she fills in, but should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by