1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WAY off topic but I need help or advice.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JudyMcKinn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I know this isn't chicken, but I know a lot of you have different hobbies and skills. I need some help. I have an old, oblong bowl, on feet, that is a greenish/blue. With very nice designs in the glass. But I see that the greenish/blue color is chipping off in a couple small places, so apparently it is painted on, instead of the color of the glass. (I have seen this happen on some of the cheap reproductions of the beautiful red glass, which the real stuff is colored with gold dust, I am told.)
    My question--does anyone know something that would take this greenish color off the glass bowl? The designs in the glass are pretty enough that it would also be pretty as a clear glass bowl. Thanks for any help.

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I dont know, but from my experience with glass, dont use a chipping hammer, you end up with broken glass, sorry I couldnt help. [​IMG]

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    You could try using paint thinner.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    There's paint on the glass but it's clipping and you want to take all the paint off? Paint thinner or even nail polish remover is all I can think of. Post pics if you can.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Most auto parts stores sell a chemical called aircraft paint remover, It will take the paint off almost anything.

6. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks, all. I will try some of these suggestions. The Aircraft paint remover sounds hopeful.
    I should say that I SUPPOSE this is a paint. At any rate, there are little places it is coming off, and I managed to get a little more off scratching with my fingernail, but it came off way too hard to do it all this way. It just proved that it is a paint or coating of some sort.
    Will try the paint remover, and if anyone else has any experience with glass of this sort, am open to any other suggestions, too.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:After a time, the smell from a cat box can do that too! [​IMG]

8. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Can we assume you are having a catbox issue at our place, Wildsky? [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:DH's Job - dontcha know........

I was HATING life a few days ago - and it was COLD, I had to OPEN THE DANG DOORS AND Windows! I was LIVID ! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You said the bowl is old, is it valuable? Might not hurt to find out before you finish taking the paint off. Could hurt it's value.
    I'm too tired to think right now, but I used to own an antique/auction biz with the ex and there is a type of glass ornamentation where the color is painted on as opposed to being part of the glass. It does chip off after many years, but a collector would rather have it with the chipping paint than with all the paint removed.
    Just my 2 cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by