Way over my budget!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by randishinney, Mar 26, 2012.

1. randishinney

randishinney Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    So I sat down with my Bill to male up the plans for the new coop today. Get the material list from him and start getting prices.....$450 to build my coop! That is not happening! I was thinking $200 tops! There is no way I'm spending that much on it! We decided to scale back a little. It will work for the 15 chicks I have now plus the 4 hens, but I really wanted something bigger in case chicken math sets in again! We have designed it so an addition wouldn't be hard, so better than nothing I guess!
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Just find yourself a large shipping box and build from there. It's free or cost very little.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. randishinney

Mar 5, 2012
    Lol! If I could use a box I would! Too bad we have predators in the area!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I think they meant a shipping crate. It's made of wood and tends to be large. Put an ad on Craigslist. You might get a hit or two.

5. MarysChickens

MarysChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Grandview Texas
    See if you have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store in or around your town. I picked up about 60% of my wood from them and they were 50% or more cheaper than going to Lowe's or home depot plus all of there wood is in great condition and even some of it was still new they just had too much of a certain size that was donated to them. there website is www.habitat.org and you will be able to find a re-store near you(hopefully). Plus you will be helping a family in need because all proceeds go right back into building houses for people in need.

1 person likes this.
  6. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    there are many websites with designs for building coops out of pallets- which are free or very cheap in many cases. there are also designs for straw bale houses. what is your climate like?

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    It doesn't matter what kind of coop you have. You need to build a fence to protect your bird. We got raccoon, dog, etc..here too and use free chain link fence to keep predators out.

8. randishinney

Mar 5, 2012
    We do have plans for a chain link fence around their entire area. In fact we have already bought the material and started digging the holes. The coop does still need to be built pretty well as we have lots of different predators. I can't remember what they are called...those little ferret things? We've got lots of those! Lots and lots of Raccoons, Fox, Skunk, Fox, Dogs, Cats. You name it and we probably have them! We have had them get through chain link so I just want to make sure they will be completely safe at night while locked in there. No big deal. We decided to just build it a little smaller than I had hoped for. There will still be more than enough room for the girls I have now, and later down the road we will build the addition to it like I said before.

The pallet house sounds interesting. I know I can get a bunch of pallets for free! Can you send me a link with some information? Or maybe if someone who has made one can give me some advise?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ferret like things = weasals. They will get through the smallest of holes and kill chickens in an instant!

I always figure cost of coop will be (expected cost) x 1.25 minimum.

10. Luvmykiddos

Luvmykiddos Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    We love our local re-store!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by