Way too cool!!!! Caught laying an egg. Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 7, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have found eggs when they were freshly laid, but never THIS fresh!!! My little EE Miranda went to the nest and was acting like she was about to lay so I followed her. Unfortunately, my BR Nightingale is a notorious housekeeper and had "cleaned" most of the straw out of the nest (she does after her egg is gathered). But, rather than disturb her, I watched. Here the little sweetie is, just about to lay and just as the egg went ka-thunk on the unprotected wood. Thankfully it didn't break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    How cool I have only seen that happen twice. Awsome pictures what a pretty egg.[​IMG]

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    aint that the koolest thing you have ever seen.ive caught my hens laying alot of eggs like that over the years.even been lucky enough to have 1 or 2 land in my hand.i love the wett fresh gloss on the egg shell.

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I was literally jumping up and down!!! I hope to have that happen again!!!

That would be too cool, to "catch" one!!! Almost like helping deliver a baby!!! LOL

Thanks, I just love the color of hers. I tend to blow her eggs out and keep the shells. [​IMG]

5. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool! I saw one of my Buff Orpingtons and one of my Leghorns lay an egg a few days ago. It sure is cool! [​IMG]

BTW, what a beautiful egg!

6. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    [​IMG] That is cool. I can't wait until my chickens lay eggs. The egg looks so beautiful all glossy, beautiful chicken too.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks and thanks. [​IMG] I have decided the only logical thing to do is move into the chicken coop to watch them lay eggs. I may as well, my bathroom is essentiallly a large brooder right now, anyway! LOL

My 10 y/o looked at the pic and said "why is it so shiny?" When I told him because it is still wet, he said "that is just gross mom". [​IMG]

8. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:VERY Funny! And such a cool photo!! Thanks for sharing. Wow, your Miranda looks very much like my "Ugly". And no, I didn't name her!!

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Wow, your Miranda looks very much like my "Ugly". And no, I didn't name her!!

LOL......had Miranda been named when she was getting her big girl feathers, she could very well be called "Ugly" too!!! She went through a rather.....ummm.......homely period. [​IMG]

10. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

What a beautiful egg! I hope my Ameracaunas start laying, soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by