Way too many eggs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wda4him, Nov 8, 2011.

1. wda4him

wda4him New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    How long should you store eggs in the refrigerator? I know how to tell if an egg is bad. [​IMG]

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    There have been threads on this before. I cook anything that has hit the 30 day mark in the fridge. I won't keep eggs past that.

It makes a difference if you wash the cuticle (bloom) off the eggs, or if you put them in the fridge straight from the hen house. Washing them gives them a jumpstart on going bad. I wash chicken eggs after a day of rain, but otherwise don't have a need to.

There was a great article in Mother Earth News years back that comparitively tested washed and unwashed eggs and how well they store and the best methods to keep them fresher longer. I'll see if I can find the link....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. wda4him

wda4him New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Thanks

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Eggs keep for quite awhile. When you buy them in the store, they're already 3-4 weeks old.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Many people hatch the Trader Joe eggs and these need to be a week old or less for best results; so the grocery store eggs are about 1 week or more in age.

I too have a lot of extra eggs; when the number are totally out of control, I feed the dogs a few scrambled eggs. [​IMG]

For my own use, I don't mind eggs that are a month or more. I always thoroughly cook my eggs before eating. I read an article on eggs for hatching and it was very interesting: the number of ways eggs fight off bacteria, etc, via bloom, shell, and components in the albumen that attack bacteria,etc. Seems like an uncooked egg might last a while.

6. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I trade my 'extra' eggs with a restaurant in town. They keep track and every once and a while my son and I enjoy a meal at the restaurant. They get organic green eggs and we get nights out.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My sister has eaten my unwashed eggs for up to 5 months & said they were fine. I don't usually have them longer than a month.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Truthfully, I've never had an egg spoil, and I don't pay attention to how old they are. If I think they're kind of old, I crack them in a bowl to see how they look before I use them.

Hey, make a souffle! They take ALOT of eggs and are delicious! [​IMG]

Or maybe you could just give the eggs away to a church or whatever.......For the less fortunate!

9. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
  10. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by