Way too many roo's?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChixChic, May 14, 2009.

1. ChixChic

ChixChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Well, I have an unexpected situation.[​IMG]

A couple of days ago, I posted pics of my 6 week old Buff Orps, asking how many were roo's. It looks as though ALL of them are...[​IMG] with MAYBE the exception of 1, (and thats a MAYBE).

Now, I already have 3 pullet Orps. that are a year old outside (along with 3 Khaki Cambell Ducks)..... and I also have eight 4 week olds, (an even combo of reds and sextons), and it looks as though some of those might be roo's too...possibly half??

Which MIGHT leave me with a total of 7 pullets?? And 10 roo's!!!!

Can you keep that many roo's?? If I kept one in with the pullets and then fenced a separate area for the other roo's, (which would be right next to all the hens), would that work? If the roo's are raised together will they be okay as they get older? Or should I start looking for a new home for all of them? I was thinking I could just keep the roo's and raise them for meat.

Ahhhh! Help!

2. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would keep them as meat. Have you priced chicken at the store lately? It terrrible. Besides, your birds won't have the chemicals pumped into them like the factory birds. We raise several each year just for this reason.

3. ChixChic

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    So, its okay to raise that many roo's together? Will they fight to the death? Is there a particlular way I need to raise that many?
    Is it okay to have the roo's all fenced in together, next to the hens, but separated by chicken wire? Or will that cause them to fight?

I will be building my fenced in area soon, so need to know whats the best way to set it up.

Thanks!![​IMG]

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    That's way too many. They will fight and your hens will suffer. They will chase them not stop and not be very nice to them. Either sell them, give them away or put them in the freezer. Your hens will thank you.[​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know how you feel lol. I have 2 bantam wyandotte roos, 4 OEGB roos, 1 Mille D'uccle roo, 2 Golden Sebright roos, 1 leghorn roo ( dominant), and I got 4 babies in the brooder I'm not sure of yet...So thats... 10 roos.....and 4 girls.... GAH!

6. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have read on here about bachelor coops with roosters only. I think it really depends on the disposition of the roosters. Some are very mild mannered (mine so far) and others that are very dominant. I'm sure it helps that they have been raised together. Good luck.

7. ChixChic

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Ok...So it IS possible to raise that many at a time. NOW.... I have another question. . . MagikChik, you said my hens will suffer. If I dont put the roo's in the same fence as the hens, then that will be okay, right? I was going to only put 1 roo in with the hens, (the most dominant one), and all other roo's in a sectioned off area away from all the hens.

Is this okay? Or will it still put stress on the hens?

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If the roosters cannot get to the hens then they cannot excessively mate with them so the hens won't "suffer".

What I don't know is how much the roosters in the bachelor pad will fight if they are penned next to the hens. So much of it depends on the individual roosters that I'm convinced no one can tell you what will happen with yours. You'll find that different people have had totally different results. It could be bad. It could no problem.

Good luck!

9. ChixChic

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Ok... Then I guess I will just have to figure it out as I go. I will try it and if I find that its not working, I will go from there.[​IMG]
    Thanks so much for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by