way too soft shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Harlequin, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    we have a barred rock that lays consistently and every time she lays an egg that has collapsed on itself and is flimsy. what can i do to remedy this?

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:What are you feeding them? Do you have oyster shell available to them?

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    more calcium oyster shells or crushed egg shells. Mine have done this 2 times. I just upped their calcium.

4. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Try Oyster shell, it might help her to produce harder shells. Give it in a little dish on the side not with the regular food. They usually take it when they need it.

5. Harlequin

Jul 31, 2010
    maybe thats why, any time i put oyster shell in with the regular food the little boogers just peck out the crumbles and cracked corn or scratch grain and leave the shell. i'll try it in a bowl to the side. we regularly give them laying crumbles, usually layena brand, sometimes dumor. we mix a bag of scratch or corn in with a bag of feed. and they get all the extra organic spoils from our house like tomatoes and apples the kids dont finish

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:The mixing in of the scratch or corn might be part of the issue. There's very little nutritional value in the scratch or corn, their diet should be primarily the layer crumbles, scratch or corn should just be an occasional treat. If it was me, I would cut out the scratch and put a bowl of oyster shell on the side and see if that resolves the issue.

7. Harlequin

Jul 31, 2010
    ty and hello fellow asheville friend, im in weaverville

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:The mixing in of the scratch or corn might be part of the issue. There's very little nutritional value in the scratch or corn, their diet should be primarily the layer crumbles, scratch or corn should just be an occasional treat. If it was me, I would cut out the scratch and put a bowl of oyster shell on the side and see if that resolves the issue.

What NeeleysAVLChicks said! Scratch is like candy to chooks and they have the appetite of a typical three year old so they'll eat the candy way before they eat their vegtables.

9. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a separate feeder just for Oyster Shell and i have to fill it every few days. the ducks really go at it.

the feeder is kinda like this, without the top part. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by