Ways to candle eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Axle Quails, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Ways to candle eggs

my candler broke so what other ways is their

2. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    i use a flashlight and it works for me [​IMG]

3. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    flashlight works fine on my lighter colored eggs and decent on my Ameracauna eggs. my EE (green with a thicker shell) I have yet to be able to see much through.

4. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I use one those really bright small flash lights and it works great.I can`t see verins and things like that but I can see the dark spot so I know there is something in there.

5. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Thanks every one i go and try that [​IMG]

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Your cars headlight works pretty good. Just use a paper plate with a hole in it to cover the light.

7. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Another item for the dark green or dark brown eggs, I take a 60 watt light bulb and place it inside a upside down coffee can.(keep it towards the bottom, the open side of the can) Pop a hole about 3/4 round and then take a hammer and give a little tap round the hole to indent it a bit. You now have a nice candeler that you can see through those dark shells, the indent keep the egg in the center, not rolling off and breaking. It's on a stand but be warned the can does get hot on the sides after a few minutes. THis is why I have it on a stand, so I don't have to touch the can. [​IMG]

8. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I got a tactical flashlight at Radio Shack that has pretty high lumens for a small LED flashlight. The beam carries 3 football fields in length! I can see quite a bit, and more if the room is dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by