Ways to clean up dog's teeth--oral sprays?

Thanks everyone, we had an emergency with Sugar, so I haven't been back in a few days. We asked the butcher at Raley's, and he said they don't cut their own pig feet anymore because 2 people accidentally cut of their thumbs in the same month.
hmm.png
He also said all the stores he knows of don't sell whole feet anymore. So that stinks. But I noticed they had pork shoulders there, but would those be considered wreck bones? I guess I might have to go to a private butcher for turkey necks, or even whole pig feet. Thanks again!
If you have never fed raw, I wouldn't start with any red meat. Bone in chicken is very bland on the stomach and easy to digest, and cleans the teeth wonderful without the worry of breaking or chipping teeth on weight bearing bones of large animals.

Yep, the store is fine. Thats where I get most of mine. Most of what you buy is enhanced with salt/broth solutions so I soak mine in warm (not hot) or cool water for an hour or so to draw some of that out.

If you have never fed raw, I wouldn't start with any red meat. Bone in chicken is very bland on the stomach and easy to digest, and cleans the teeth wonderful without the worry of breaking or chipping teeth on weight bearing bones of large animals.
I have fed raw several times in the past. I just had a bit of a hard time keeping up with it. In the past, pork never upset their stomach. Actually, I think Sugar threw up the most from chicken. Not often or anything though. Thanks for the tips, and good luck Redhen!

At 6 years old, she is waayyy overdue for a dental cleaning. Have your vet do it, its safer than those people who say they can clean your dogs teeth with no anesthesia. Small dogs develop dental disease easily and need regular cleanings starting at an early age due to the way thier teeth are crowded in thier mouths.

Little dogs are more prone to dental disease than large breeds, they usually recommend a 1st cleaning for small breeds at age 1-2 and each year after. Small dogs that don't get regular cleanings tend to loose thier teeth, why you will see them with tongues hanging out as there is nothing to hold the tongue in.

http://www.animaldentalclinic.com/FrequentQuestions/tabid/83/Default.aspx

And heres some info from a vet site: "The disease is particularly rife among small and toy breeds. “They have disproportionately large teeth for their small mouths and jaws, which results in crowding,” Dr. Joo says. “This means that food and debris, which turn into plaque and tartar, get caught on and between teeth. It doesn’t take much before the teeth become loose and for infection to set in. In extreme cases, small dogs have such severe dental disease that they can break their jaws.”
This happens when the alveolar bone, which surrounds the tooth sockets, erodes. This weakens the lower jaw so much that a slight trauma — everything from bumping into furniture to chewing on a toy — can cause it to fracture.
In contrast, larger dogs have a more balanced tooth-to-jaw ratio. “When they lose a few milliliters of attachment, it’s not as significant,” Dr. Joo says. Larger dogs also tend to chew on toys and other things that help keep their teeth healthier — as well as some that don’t. These breeds need regular dental checkups because, Dr. Joo cautions, “They have a tendency to break their teeth chewing on hard objects like bones or rocks.”

Last edited:
I have fed raw several times in the past. I just had a bit of a hard time keeping up with it. In the past, pork never upset their stomach. Actually, I think Sugar threw up the most from chicken. Not often or anything though. Thanks for the tips, and good luck Redhen!
Chicken can cause upset in the beginning sometimes because of enhancements added(which you can soak out most of), and if skin gets left on. Taking the skin off at first helps a lot. Also, a large enough cut to make them have to chew more rather than swallowing whole, which is pretty common with chicken for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom