Ways to house chicken guests in prep for a show, not house chickens.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Thomas423, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    We swore that I would never ever have chickens in the house again.
    Other than the "nursery" that is only used for 3 days or so after hatch before going outside to brooder boxes.
    Right now I have one pullet that beaten up badly by the rooster and she is healing in a dog cage in the bathroom.
    Yesterday, I brought in a silkie that is going to be entered into a show in 2 weeks. She is also in a dog cage.

So, I know that many of you keep chickens in the house/basement and I want to know about your cage arrangement.
    The dog cages will not hold bedding so I'm using newspaper. What do you use?

Also, it's only 2 chickens this time, but how do I seperate multiple chickens in prep for a show?

Pics would be great, but a detailed description would be helpful.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
  3. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    DH is not building any new cages. At least that's what he's said for the last 3 coops. Hehe.
    I know exactly where those cages will fit inside the silkie coop.

I still would like more info on what people use in their cages inside the house.

CHICKENDALES - Where did you get you LF BBS Polish?

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:I have a six hole each hole being 27x30 perch placed 3 inches above the floor with heavy pine shaving in floor changed frequently. that keeps them isolated, clean. the low perch keeps them from walking under it and messing up feathers.

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    tsc has those rabbit cages with the trays that would work in the house there 24\\24 \\16 they would wok for a pair silkies

6. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    That's a good idea for inside the house CHICKENDALES.

Where did you get you LF BBS Polish????

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:VICE PRESIDENTof the polish club - JOSH HOFFMAN

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:I assume you are speaking of the wire dog crates? Cut some cardboard about 4-6" tall and the length of the sides. Punch a few holes in the cardboard, and either use zip ties or twist ties to wire it onto the inside of the cage. That will prevent hubby from having to build any more cages, and this will hold in the shavings in the dog crates. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by