1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ways to increase egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brahmachicks, Apr 20, 2016.

1. brahmachicks

brahmachicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    My husband and I have 2 hens that are a year old. One is a light brahma and a brahma mix. Lately our brahma mix has not been laying consistenly.I've counted only around 3 a week. Our light brahma typically lays daily, there may be one day a week she doesn't lay. Just wondering if there might be a reason our brahma mix isn't laying well. I haven't noticed any behavior changes, I clean their coop daily, they get fresh water, plenty of food... Any ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Brahmas aren't extremely prolific breeds. Typically around 140 eggs a year, more or less. If they are getting nutritious feed and sufficient light, you are probably getting what you're going to get. Get ready for autumn when they molt and shut down completely.

Brahmas have a tendency to be overweight. Heavy birds don't lay well.

What are they being fed?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. brahmachicks

Apr 18, 2016
    I've read differing things about how Brahma lay. Our light brahma is an excellent layer even throughout the winter she would give us at least 4 eggs a week. Our mix was a very consistent layer until the last 2 weeks. They free range but we also feed them layer pellets. We also provide oyster shells for them free choice. Since she is a mix she is smaller than our light brahma so I really don't think the weight has anything to do with it.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Are you positive she's not decided to start laying somewhere else?

I agree on Brahmas not being exceptionally productive birds. She may just be taking a break, or thinking about going broody.

5. brahmachicks

Apr 18, 2016
    Not laying anywhere else. Our yard is not very big and we have few places where eggs would hide. And when she lays she lays in the same nest she's been laying in since day one.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd still coop them up for a week....they're not called 'hidden' nests for nothing.
    Might try bumping up the protein too.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Protein is a good idea. That's why I asked what they are being fed. But I never got an answer when the original question was "ways to increase egg laying".

Assuming that they are healthy, light and nutrition are the only variables available short of new breeds.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by